Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
(formerly brian21johansen)
975 Posts
I have a Penn and a Shimano......the Penn seems more reliable and like it will last longer.....a workhorse as some call it. But at the same time, the shimano is a lot "smoother".....smoother drag, smoother operation.

Just my 2 cents

·
975 Posts
I'll let ya know as soon as I use it some more....never fought a fish on it yet but the drag seems pretty good so far.....

and I'm assuming it's brass as well but I'm not too sure...I'll let ya know when i find outthumbsup.gif

·
975 Posts
Wow. I don't remember when i voted on this but it must have been a long time ago. I used to fish Penn but now I only use Shimano reels (with the exception of a Daiwa Sealine that I won).

I have had amazing results with all of my shimanos (2 curado 200's, shimano spheros, and a shimano stradic).

On the east coast Penn seems to be the reel of choice, on the west coast Shimano is one of the most popular reels....as a matter of fact Penn reels aren't used too much out here.

Shimano has great customer service as well. One night while fishing I made a cast and a bunch of pelicans flew by....one got stuck in my line and snapped my shimano clarus rod. I didnt have my receipt so the store wouldnt help me out. I drove up to Irvine, CA (shimano headquarters). The ONLY question they asked me:

Where do we send the new rod?

I actually plan on buying a curado 300 later this month...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts