Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4,419 Posts
Zim still uses a shillelagh with a spark plug :lmao:

Preference question stripiere. I like the Penns but as jB noted the drags are definately smoother on the Shimanos.
I however own both but not the liveliners so I couldn't tell you about them. The shimano baitrunners are nice reels IMO for bait fishing. Very smooth front and rear drag systems. The Penn 704Z series are great for plugging and chunking with as is the larger SS series. The drag isn't as smooth but very functional even under rough conditions.

140 bucks seems like a lot for the 5600 :icon_rolleyes:

·
4,419 Posts
i mentioned above about the 9500. Not for plugin. 200 or so casts with that 32 ounce reel on a big stick and your arms are fallin off.
Zim The 6500 shimano is half the price of the thunnus and just as good.
Its incredible to me that half of great kills plug the surf with Van Stalls.
Lots of experience surfcasters or lots of "mad money".

·
4,419 Posts
Re: REELS? PENN 5600L Live Liner Vs Shimano STRADIC 6000FH

wow this is an old thread somebody voted on.
I like both and use both. Maybe i should edit the poll to include that.

·
4,419 Posts
Van Staal If youre giving it away I will take it otherwise I wouldnt buy it....even if I had the cash!!!!
After you fished one for a while Phil and everything else thats out there you might just change your mind.
There is no comparison to the Vs and the Zees. Maybe the stella . All of the other spinning reels for surfcasting is either ancient with possible issues or inferior in some way.
Otherwise the only option IMHO is the 704Z or 706 - good plugging reels for a 10 or 11 foot rod.
The Quantum Cabo PT 50 is a nice reel for plugging 9 foot rod.
Other guys love Daiwa. The only Daiwa spinning reel I've owned is the emblem pro. A pretty nice reel for distance.

The only ones you can dunk really are the VS and Zs and other modified reels like the z series.

·
4,419 Posts
Paulie sorry i didt get down to fish with ya bro.
Im a mess physically.
Did Rickski win your contest for the baitrunner?

I know you were awed by his offering.

·
4,419 Posts
My primaries are the ZB and the VS
For surfcasting the 704 - 06 cant be beat

The Cabo is a very nice reel too. My choice is the baitrunner more than the Cabo for bait fishing and the Cabo more than the baitrunner for plugs or slinging eels.
The Cabo is a quantum.
The other consideration for me with that reel - is the handle. I know its an improvement over the old one that had issues but it feels fat and a bit oversized for my liking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts