Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reels. Shimano Vs Penn Which manufacturer do you prefer for reels?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
c'mon...we all know that zim would prefer the $15.00 shakespear spinning rod and reel combo from ocean state lob lot or wal mart over any quality reel...ive got a baitrunner 4500..and i love it.....i cant compare to a penn because i dont own one...

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
hi..zim......hello.gif. good to see you still got the sense of humor....ass face. i got the perfect reel for you to try out..ill send it to you........along with a spool of your favorite k-mart mono.....you know damn well the shimano baitrunners are good quality reels..versatile too...

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
not offended at all..just glad to have the opportunity to bust your balls a bit..as well as enjoy the nut crackin efforts comming from you..the googan master...funny how you mention calstar..figures you would know the maker of the ultimate "powerhouse" reel....jim tells me you got a few of those calstars mounted on your prized ugly sticks and shakespear "bigwater" rods....the reel that i have is way to good for me...its built from superior, aircraft grade, polypetroliumsodiumcarbonaterubberized alloy for optimum performance and it even has the high tech "lock down" drag system..as line peels off the spool..the drag automatically tightens for excellent stopping power.

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
i figured you were just continuing with the ball bustin...i actually find it funny.....yeah..i do anylize things WAY TOO much...i am often told that... you may see that as a negative point of view..but to me its funny, and not negative at all..i think i have a pretty good sense of when someone is actually trying to offend me..i dont get that vibe from you at all...im told i have a sick sense of humor...hey...funny is funny to me..yeah i find a lot of things funny, while many people find those same things offensive.....too effin bad....

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
the anti reverse on my shimano baitrunners are instant...no play whatsoever. my penns however have slop in them....and they are not newer models. being in tune with your gear is most important. knowing how to set a hook with the gear you have is the point, i think, zim is trying to get across. know your gear and its limitations and learn how to work with it and you should be able to set a hook with no problems. just make sure your gear is maintained and in good working order for when the fish of a lifetime comes along and takes your offering....if your not paying attention you will get caught with your pants down.

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
the baitrunner is a low end shimano.
:icon_stirthepot:
NOT!!!!!!

the baitrunner is a great priced googan machine. fyi....i used mine at montauk...and it spent more time underwater than my grease packed penn7500ss (old discontinued metal version) and when i stripped it down to look inside at the hotel, the inside was clean as a whistle...and everything was smooth as could be. i know it may not last a season of harsh treatment if left unserviced. but i know for a fact i could torture mine next year and it will take the abuse as long as I keep it clean and oiled/greased after every few trips. its a very versatile and dependable reel.....and its very well balanced on the afaw estuary rod.
PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT...CHARLIE!!!!!

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
I am more incline to go with Shimano after all the bail problems I had with the Penn reels. The only reel that was reliable was my old Z reels that I always found too heavy. Anyway I got two Shimano baitrunners to fish with this coming season :smile:
good choice, what size? the 4500b is perfect for general applications. you will not be disappointed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts