Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a new boat and the old owner left me 10 fishing rods. The reels are huge and look brand new. The listing says they are speed rods!! They look like boat rods to me. Keep in mind I am not a hardcore fisherman, but am looking to be!!! I was also left boxes of fishing gear that I have no idea how to use. I posted a picture of the rods.

Attachments

·
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
309 Posts
Looks like gear for tuna. Go troll for one. find the fleet, or ask some guys. Go out to stell wagen bank, and look for feeding tuna. If you see them jumping near the boat, cast out to one. Hang on! I wish I could joing you. Next season . . . Good luck.

·
swabbie
433 Posts
Can you use it for stripers and blues? and what is the difference? Just hold a bigger fish? What is a speed trolling rod?
You can if you like to fish heavy tackle. I assume it's mono (hard to tell with the pic). If you had a down rigger you could use them for trolling umbrellas/tubes/deep divers, etc in deep water. I use those Penn Senators for jigging cod in deep water.

I prefer lighter tackle myself when it comes to bass fishing.

·
First Mate
1,014 Posts
I'm going to have a couple of 30-50# class, all roller rods come to me in a few days. I have a couple of Penn 4/0's that I want to dedicate to wire line for these rods. I'll spool 300' of Monel and mark it off. My question is: For that size rig, what line weight would any of you recommend. I'm bouncing between 40...50...and 60. Would 60 be overkill and be too stiff? Would 40 be too light and run the risk of break-off? These would be used for the end-of-season trolling for some of the " Thick Women". I want to try 9er's ( umbrellas ) and of course, Tube-n-worm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts