Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lunker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! everyone:

It's a new season and it's time to buy a new reel.
I have narrowed it down to the Cabo or Stratic. I was told that the Cabo can be dunked in saltwater without any problems but the Stratic will have problems if it is dunked?

what do you guys think, I am new to the surf fishing bug only been at it a year. the Cabo sells for around $190 & the Stratic for $160. So their is very little difference in price.

thanks,

danny

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey about the cabo, my friend recently bought the cabo spinning reel and its amazing. Havinf 9 ball bearings it's one of the smoothest reels i have ever felt in my life...which is expected out of a Quantum reel. My dad uses a cabo troll reel which is also amazing . Personally I would reccomend the Cabo if you're willing to spend the money because the extra money will be well worth it. Good luck this season!

·
Lunker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stella

Hey Marko you are totally correct but I am not looking to spend almost $600 on the Stella reel. Maybe when I have more experience in surf fishing I will look at the Stella or Van Staal.

thanks for thr responses guys, my local bait & tackle store swears the Cabo is great for surf fishing. he went to his car & showed me his reel it is a Cabo & he said he can use any reel even a Van Staal but prefers the Cabo.

danny

·
Registered
211 Posts
I say yes on the Cabo, very nice reels. I very much like all of quantums higher end reels (90 plus dollars) but as to the comment on all quantum reels are nice (to colin), you probably havent seen their lower quality reels, (optix for example) they arent even worth pissin on, absolute crap.

About being dunked, that just means you'll be fine for the day, you of course want to rinse it and oil it if you do ever do that :)

The stradic is pretty much the same way, but I like quantum for better action and shimano's seem to get hard to get parts for pretty quick.

·
Lunker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cabo

I ordered the Cabo from my local bait & tackle store. A better price than the online vendors & he will spool the reel. I pick it up saturday, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

thanks,

Danny

·
Lunker
68 Posts
Danny,
Well, I loved it for the first month or so. It was extra smooth and a perfect reel. Then little things started to go wrong. The paddle on the handle fell apart first, then I started seeing chips in the reel itself. Now this year the smoothness is gone. The hot sauce (oil) leeks through the seems in the reel.
I spent two hundred something on the reel last year. I expected a very low maintenance, high quality, tough as nails reel. That is not what I got.
I have to tell you that it did get alot of use but I thought it could handle it. Especially for over 200$. I don't feel as if I got what I paid for.
Good luck with yours.

·
Lunker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cabo PT

I picked up the Cabo PT60 reel, looks like a great reel. My local bait & tackle shop spooled it with braided line. Since I paid in cash he spooled for free. Lucky420 I hope it will last me a little longer than yours, keeping the fingers crossed. I was trying to be good & not spend alot on a reel but when my wife came home from a cosmetic party & told me she just spent over $200 for make-up then I felt that $200 for a reel was reasonable. One thing I know this reel will last longer than her make-up. Now if she does it again then it is time to spend money on a lamiglass surf rod. If I am going to be broke I might as well get something out of it. Ha Ha

danny

·
Lunker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks

Hey thanks for the birthday wishes.

I am 52 yrs old & trying to learn how to surf fish, I must be crazy.
I am tired of boat charters, drop line & catch. I did not catch any fish surf fishing last year but just the challenge made it enjoyable. I think it is one of the best ways to go fishing. It really makes you think how the fish are reacting to certain lures or baits or weather conditions. This year I will catch that striper & from what I have been told it will be the best fishing experience of my life.

great web site & thanks again guys!!!!!

cadicted.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.