Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Do you think fishing locations should be displayed without editing on public forums?

• Never - only general area information or in private

Votes: 112 39.4%
  • Always - You have to know how to fish anyway

Votes: 56 19.7%
  • In certain circumstances when its in an online print magazines and already well known

Votes: 63 22.2%
  • Never only upon death and then lie about it.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • Could care less if i dont fish the area

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Could care less period.

Votes: 24 8.5%

Public Forum Spot Giving Poll

72K views 77 replies 49 participants last post by  treedude363 
#1 ·
What is your opinion on the issue?

#2 ·
General information, 5 mile increments is cool.
Information that helps you track the movement of the various bodies of fish is extremely helpful.
Then you go where you think the fish will be and find yourself a spot.

Asking for exact spots is the sign of a bad or lazy fisherman who doesn't want to pays his dues, wants it all handed to em. I consider it poor etiquette and rude. I've no respect for those people

As for the Lookeemee guys who feel the need to post or run to the tackle shop and rave about how great they are telling the world about their 5lb fish including exactly where they caught it - do us all a favor and grow the hell up.

One of my regular spots was recently burned by a "Lookeemeeee" guy and now there are 20 guys camped there making it completely unfishable. Obviously I'm in a particularly rotten frame of mind when it comes to this topic

#3 ·
Hunting them is all part of life, The more ya learn about your quarry the more fun it is when you earn a nice fish on your own. It is like finding a big peice of gold thats a little faster than you. It's all about the anticipation of catching the fish ya found on your own, If it's not go to the market. It is a good thing fish are on the move or there wouldn't be any. If someone hold s your hand and puts you on fish they are not your catch, he might as well reel them in for ya too......:smilierun:

#5 ·
Interesting question and a tough call.
Around here, all the breachways get hit hard. I have no problem sending a googan or someone coming off as looking for a free spot-on to them spots.
My theory is, anyone in their right mind doesn't (can't) want to seriously fish in them conditions. Let's put all the yahoos in one spot and leave the rest of the areas open. Plus, they are already toasted areas from reports, bait shops, etc. Not like they're any secret.

Some I may send to a general area (ie; Watch Hill, Narrow River, Upper bay) but never mention 200 yds. to the right of..., or on the south side of the river from ? to a point just past ?

(Very) Occasionally, I'll PM some decent, more spot-on info. That's only if I get a really good "read" on the guy first. Someone coming on and saying, "Hey mutha! where can I catch me a bass and pork the old lady at the same time? And do they patrol for booze and drugs there?"
While that's still a good "read", not what gets my PM. :einstein:
That's the sort I'd sent to the breachways and say, "Party - on Dude!"
See what I mean about putting them all in one spot? :lff3:

Some think it's fine to mention "Caught @ Middle Bridge", other's think saying, "Caught in the Atlantic" is spot burning. :smiliedoh:

I've no problem trying to be somewhat helpful (without actually putting the fish on the hook for them), but I use my discreation the way I choose. If a site administrator chooses to censor, that's their call. After all it is their house, and they need rules (for whatever reason, and there's many).

Long and short?
Don't much give a crap one way or the other. :lff3::gob_icon_cheers::icon_stirthepot:goodpost.gif

#6 ·
From a moderators point of view it has to be completely one way or the other. Either all spot burning is OK or none.

It's impossible for a person who is not familiar with the area to police the forum.
You live there, you hear "try xyz". To you that's a well burned spot that everyone and their grandmother knows about. To a moderator from outside the area it looks like something that needs to be edited.

Gotta tell you I had a very difficult time dealing with the Hudson River Forum this season - I never heard of any of their areas so had to go in with a somewhat shotgun approach that was wrong as often as it was right.

#8 ·
I think specific spot information should continue to be edited in the way that it has. Sometimes some one new to the sport, excited about his great day of fishing may cough up too much information not realizing what the consequences are.

If specific locations were allowed to be public on this forum it would just help perpetuate the laziness of folks that don't want to put the time in to find and develop their own spots.

#9 ·
Suds,
I can definately appreciate the mod's point of view. Even if the spot is in his back yard.
That's why, "Don't much give a crap one way or the other."

Generally, for a site to work, one needs to make the majority happy.

I do think the Spot-burn is over sensative more often than not. But, that's why I'll do the PM. Just trying not to upset too many folks all at once. :icon_cool2::smile:

Personally, if I choose to share, I will (PM). However, I may say at pole # *^, but may leave out some rather pertinant point(s) for them to figure out on their own. Generally, I assume 12:00 AM is much better than 12:00 PM with a mile high sky and blazing sun vs. 1/2 moon is understood. But you never know. thumbsup.gif

I will admit though,, there are issues that fry my buns more than spot-burns. Some of my more recent voicing of views reflect that. On those I'll comment on until I'm carried away in a brown bag.

#11 ·
My son and I are new to the sport and are taking the time to read and learn. We are applying what we have learned to reading charts in search of what we believe to be appropriate sites that will host stripers. What is nice is to be able to validate through PM's with more experienced fishermen what we think are the right spots and times to go. We were out last weekend and managed one schoolie and a skate, which was a bit discouraging, but we use it as a learning experience and will try again in a different location. I think general locations are OK which will give enough information to people new to the sport the opportunity to be successful with a bit of effort.

#12 ·
There's a lot more to fishing than "the spot". So many factors effect when and where to fish that you can tell someone exact coordinates where you were hammering fish and they'll catch nothing. A lot can be learned from interpretting the info you get and knowing who to listen to. Plus does anyone really tell everyone exactly where they caught a huge fish.

#13 ·
No and you have much to learn as there are spots that you can pretty much hammer fish every time so to that point yes you could easily give up a spot that coughs up fish consistently. The learning is not going to come from the interpretation of "fish stories" given by other guys. Learning is fishing your ass off and being one of the guys that doesn't need anyone's tips because of the experience you gained actually fishing....I know it seems unreal you can actually get better at striper fishing by doing it????!!! Yes I will share specific detailed information on where I have caught fish with a select few.

#14 ·
I can tell you we burned a hot spot last week,without using this forum, everytime someone went by we had a fish on , well yesterday it was full of boats,and only 7 or eight fish caught,hopefully that put the fire out as it is a very good spot all season.BB

#15 ·
Jon you have a point about telling a select few, I personally don't need to ask about fishing spots but for a newbie it is a decent way to learn. If you think hammering one spot is the way to fish more power to you but I will continue to fish the conditions and tides. I fish in the Hudson during the spawn mostly and have a lot of success. There are spots where you can catch smaller fish consistently but I will continue to pull fish like this out away from all the spot chasers.

Attachments

#16 ·
I don't fish one spot....Those certainly are nice fish...could you imagine catching those from the surf in the middle of the night without all those expensive fish finders and chart plotters? I don't think its a reasonable comparison in regards to spots a boat fisherman may find compared to a surf caster (hell you can find many spots by reading a navigation map!) Anyone with a boat with electronics shouldn't have to ask and if they do feel the need newbie or not they should take up bowling.

The reason why shore spots are so coveted is because of the skill set needed to develop those spots. Also its funny what you said about fishing one spot.....because you do it every year!!! You fish a seasonal herring run....not much comparison to following the migration of stripers from Sandy hook to Maine. My point being it takes hours upon hours of getting skunked walking the shoreline for miles to find spots that consistently hold fish and there is no comparison to the danger and difficulty involved, that being said most would prefer that the specifics stay out of the public's viewing range!

#17 ·
You are right again that shore spots are very coveted. I fished from shore for a long long time and did have a few honey holes. I also respect any fisherman who puts in there time and it's great that you can follow fish all over. Quite the long walk by the way. But if you think you could just come into the Hudson and consistently catch 40"+ fish, think again. It is not a puddle and it takes many years and countless hours of fishing to learn the patterns. Enjoy your "skill set" and poison ivy. Tight lines.

#21 ·
I will minus the poison ivy...but lets keep on track the thread is about giving specific spot information. The Hudson is irrelevant from boat because any mook can drive around until he see's a group of guys being productive (including your spots)...there is no hiding on that river. You know that though!

#18 ·
If a spot is well known, ie. Sandy Hook I see no reason not to tell a new person the layout. Most GOOGS won't walk to the tip to find the rip because it's too far. I would not however tell someone new which mile post a coveted rock is on the canal or a which tide to fish a specific location. Knowing the geography of a spot doesn't tell you when the fish will be there, how to fish the area, or what methods to use. This is only known by trial and error.

#19 ·
Pete said:
But if you think you could just come into the Hudson and consistently catch 40"+ fish, think again
Aint that the truth. thumbsup.gif

For me the idea of coordinates and spots just puts too many people in the way.
The more experience I get the less info I want to divulge. Only to a select few whom I dont mind fishing with. Some guys drive me nuts.
:dizzy:

#20 ·
By no means am i an expierenced striper fisherman, but i completley agree that spots or specific locations should not be given over public forums. To me the first striper i caught was a result of ALOT of trial and error and many hours spent on the beach. I'm sure it was the same way for many people out there. But in todays world, "the world of now", everyone wants something right away and can't wait. Same applies to striper fishing, people think someone is just going to tell them where to fish and they are goign to catch a fish on the first cast. It's NOT like that, we all want to catch that 40+ inch fish, but it is so much more gratifying when you have put in those long hours and hardwork to finally hook into one. Versus someone "holding you hand" and just bringing you right to the fish. Just my opinion.

--Ethan

#22 ·
I agree to disagree. There are places like this but you never will find me in a group of boats. There is a reason why there are 3or4 guys at my marina that consistently catch big fish while the rest do just what you described and brag about there "huge" 36 inch fish. You obviously resent boat fisherman which is fine but I just gave my opinion on the topic. No need to tell me I need to learn about a fish that I study and put in solid 15 hour days hunting. I am more than happy with the consistent results I've had for the past 20 years and still learn something new every trip. I wish I could chase fish all over the coast but it is not possible. But if I could I would always still help out a struggling fisherman by giving up a spot no matter where I was fishing. If that makes me a bad guy so be it. Enough said.

#23 ·
But if I could I would always still help out a struggling fisherman by giving up a spot no matter where I was fishing. If that makes me a bad guy so be it. Enough said.
You're missing the point
Telling someone face to face is completely different then what this poll is asking
Would you still tell that guy if you knew 5,000 strangers (aka lurkers) were listening in ??

#24 ·
Giving away specific locations never does anybody any good. It ruins it for the guys who've put in the time and it makes the newer fishermen lazy. That said I don't believe all accumulated fishing knowledge should be put in a vault. I'll usually give a general situation like deep water humps, or over eel grass or something. There are two ways to take that type of info. Some guys will spend time looking at charts and start covering water. I don't mind giving intel to that type. The goat ropers will just think you're ducking the "Where'd you catch 'em" question and keep right on running in circles. I find this helps things take care of themselves. Just my .02$

#25 ·
This is my first year striper fishing, I honestly don't know why I waited so long!! I have yet to catch one but I fish every chance I get. I go alone and with friends who have been doing it for years. I will not and do not ask where a fish was caught, I will ask the bait or lure type used. I think that the fun and thrill is in the hunt. Don't give up your spots, make us new guys earn our STRIPES!! See you out there.
.:gob_icon_cheers:

#28 ·
I like to tell guys at the canal that I haven't hit any stripers but the cusk are running hard!!!! The guys that get it usually have a laugh....

#30 ·
I am relatively new to Striper fishing but I have more than 35 years experience fishing LM and SM recreationally and in tournaments. I have no problem sharing my spots with other fisherman even though I have worked very hard to find some of them. I even downloaded all of my waypoints for a man and his son who I barely knew because they were ready to quit fishing due to a lack of success. These two are now my friends and over the years they have now started to give me some very good spots. Sure many newbies will eventually figure things out on their own, but many, many more will not be able to in a short enough period of time, especially if kids are involved. Kids and even some adults will give up fishing if they never catch anything. I'm not saying everyone should give up their best spots, or all their spots like I did, but maybe give up a so so spot where at least newbies can catch a few fish and learn to apply the lessons learned at the so so spot to find their own. JMHO

#31 ·
I even downloaded all of my waypoints for a man and his son who I barely knew because they were ready to quit fishing due to a lack of success. These two are now my friends and over the years they have now started to give me some very good spots.
Many of us, including me, will agree with this.

However, the question has to do with posting a spot on a public forum on the internet which is a VERY different thing than giving a spot to a single person or to a few of your fishing buddies. When you post it on the Internet it's there for all eternity - over time thousands of people will see it.

There's a huge difference between sharing a spot with a few people and sharing it with thousands. If it's a spot on a small lake, giving that information to thousands will mean that the spot will be probably end up being fished out.
So before answering the poll question you need to consider that difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.