Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Do you think fishing locations should be displayed without editing on public forums?

• Never - only general area information or in private

Votes: 112 39.4%
  • Always - You have to know how to fish anyway

Votes: 56 19.7%
  • In certain circumstances when its in an online print magazines and already well known

Votes: 63 22.2%
  • Never only upon death and then lie about it.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • Could care less if i dont fish the area

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Could care less period.

Votes: 24 8.5%
21 - 40 of 78 Posts
You are right again that shore spots are very coveted. I fished from shore for a long long time and did have a few honey holes. I also respect any fisherman who puts in there time and it's great that you can follow fish all over. Quite the long walk by the way. But if you think you could just come into the Hudson and consistently catch 40"+ fish, think again. It is not a puddle and it takes many years and countless hours of fishing to learn the patterns. Enjoy your "skill set" and poison ivy. Tight lines.
I will minus the poison ivy...but lets keep on track the thread is about giving specific spot information. The Hudson is irrelevant from boat because any mook can drive around until he see's a group of guys being productive (including your spots)...there is no hiding on that river. You know that though!

I agree to disagree. There are places like this but you never will find me in a group of boats. There is a reason why there are 3or4 guys at my marina that consistently catch big fish while the rest do just what you described and brag about there "huge" 36 inch fish. You obviously resent boat fisherman which is fine but I just gave my opinion on the topic. No need to tell me I need to learn about a fish that I study and put in solid 15 hour days hunting. I am more than happy with the consistent results I've had for the past 20 years and still learn something new every trip. I wish I could chase fish all over the coast but it is not possible. But if I could I would always still help out a struggling fisherman by giving up a spot no matter where I was fishing. If that makes me a bad guy so be it. Enough said.

But if I could I would always still help out a struggling fisherman by giving up a spot no matter where I was fishing. If that makes me a bad guy so be it. Enough said.
You're missing the point
Telling someone face to face is completely different then what this poll is asking
Would you still tell that guy if you knew 5,000 strangers (aka lurkers) were listening in ??

Giving away specific locations never does anybody any good. It ruins it for the guys who've put in the time and it makes the newer fishermen lazy. That said I don't believe all accumulated fishing knowledge should be put in a vault. I'll usually give a general situation like deep water humps, or over eel grass or something. There are two ways to take that type of info. Some guys will spend time looking at charts and start covering water. I don't mind giving intel to that type. The goat ropers will just think you're ducking the "Where'd you catch 'em" question and keep right on running in circles. I find this helps things take care of themselves. Just my .02$

This is my first year striper fishing, I honestly don't know why I waited so long!! I have yet to catch one but I fish every chance I get. I go alone and with friends who have been doing it for years. I will not and do not ask where a fish was caught, I will ask the bait or lure type used. I think that the fun and thrill is in the hunt. Don't give up your spots, make us new guys earn our STRIPES!! See you out there.
.:gob_icon_cheers:

I usually post, " I was at one of my favorite haunts". If you know me, than you know where that is. And that is in SoCo.thumbsup.gif

I like to tell guys at the canal that I haven't hit any stripers but the cusk are running hard!!!! The guys that get it usually have a laugh....

It is only a matter of time before someone sees me with a fish. Too many people around my neck of the woods for them not to see, when I am on land. Most times I can put on the waders and be out of sight. Otherwise I just keep it to myself about the spot.

I am relatively new to Striper fishing but I have more than 35 years experience fishing LM and SM recreationally and in tournaments. I have no problem sharing my spots with other fisherman even though I have worked very hard to find some of them. I even downloaded all of my waypoints for a man and his son who I barely knew because they were ready to quit fishing due to a lack of success. These two are now my friends and over the years they have now started to give me some very good spots. Sure many newbies will eventually figure things out on their own, but many, many more will not be able to in a short enough period of time, especially if kids are involved. Kids and even some adults will give up fishing if they never catch anything. I'm not saying everyone should give up their best spots, or all their spots like I did, but maybe give up a so so spot where at least newbies can catch a few fish and learn to apply the lessons learned at the so so spot to find their own. JMHO

I even downloaded all of my waypoints for a man and his son who I barely knew because they were ready to quit fishing due to a lack of success. These two are now my friends and over the years they have now started to give me some very good spots.
Many of us, including me, will agree with this.

However, the question has to do with posting a spot on a public forum on the internet which is a VERY different thing than giving a spot to a single person or to a few of your fishing buddies. When you post it on the Internet it's there for all eternity - over time thousands of people will see it.

There's a huge difference between sharing a spot with a few people and sharing it with thousands. If it's a spot on a small lake, giving that information to thousands will mean that the spot will be probably end up being fished out.
So before answering the poll question you need to consider that difference.

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum; but I have to admit I have trolled it several times for tips. I noticed this a touchy subject here and I just wanted to add my certain perspective to anybody willing to listen. I'm new to fishing and yet to go fishing for stripers (I'm looking forward to it). I started on my own, I never had anybody to take me fishing and had no idea (and still don't) what I was doing. I would walk up and down the shoreline of a lake for hours, studying local maps, getting tid bits of information from many sources trying to find fish and catch them. If I wasn't so stubborn, and persistent and also dreaming of giving my nephews the opportunity to do something other than play video games; I would have quit two years ago. Whenever I'm shore fishing by myself on lake upstate I didn't mind coming back empty handed since I'm still learning and never go out with any expectation other than learning. When i do go out with my nephews it sucks taking them out and not having them get on any fish and these are times when this information would be helpful. As I'm writing this I'm trying to plan out a trip to go fishing for stripers with them, and I'm using google maps to check out the shore line for details with not much of an idea where to start (I'm still reading the newbie thread about reading the surf) with out physically being there. I haven't caught many fish over the past 3 years, and I have no way of really knowing what I'm doing is wrong other than the fact I have caught no fish. How do I really know if I what I was doing is right if I have no idea fish are there? If someone told me yes something is in there don't give up, I see for myself, or landed a fish and lost it because I didn't know how to set a hook. It doesn't always hurt to know where the fish are since the second step in fishing (at least from what I learned) is finding the fish. You still have to have the right lure/presentation for the type of fish/water. Anybody lazy just looking for a quick bite will always ignore the first step that a loner who has ever gone fishing learned the hard way. Always check your equipment and prepare (that includes tackle and location). Having the general or specific information available to the public wont hurt as much it would help. If someone chose to post a spot in good taste it's not detrimental. If it's done in poor taste then it's just wrong, say for example someone gave a spot in private and then that spot was posted to the whole world to see. I believe it should be handled on a case by case basis. I just wanted to give my perspective, it may be unique; but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there trying hard. I do appreciate you guys taking (and the many others on the web and print) the time out to write the tutorials and passing information on, it will keep the sport alive for many years to come.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
breaker said:
available to the public wont hurt as much it would help. If someone chose to post a spot in good taste it's not detrimental. If it's done in poor taste then it's just wrong, say for example someone gave a spot in private and then that spot was posted to the whole world to see
Im confused.
I totally disagree and agree. What is in good taste thats not detrimental If 100 people show up where you are trying to fish because spotburn.com posted gps coordinates where the hot bite is? - We PM each other with sensitive info. If it gets posted on the net somewhere else so be it. We arent here to police the net. But we wont be known as spotburn central as long as I can help it. There are dozens of publications that give away coordinates. That isnt our style. The reason we exist in the first place was to teach and learn and to try to help the new guy become stewards of our resource.
The "take two with you" idea is ingrained in our heads thanks to members like Joe Wiz.
Always take away two pieces of trash when you leave besides your own.
Thats much more important to us than letting the lazy fat asses know where the bite is happening. We try to get out and make our own reports. No-one has to tell the vets where to go to find a fish. Do they know? Definately not all the time. Where they are likely to be found at a particular tide and weather condition has to come from log books and experience on the water.

I am relatively new to Striper fishing but I have more than 35 years experience fishing LM and SM recreationally and in tournaments. I have no problem sharing my spots with other fisherman even though I have worked very hard to find some of them. I even downloaded all of my waypoints for a man and his son who I barely knew because they were ready to quit fishing due to a lack of success. These two are now my friends and over the years they have now started to give me some very good spots. Sure many newbies will eventually figure things out on their own, but many, many more will not be able to in a short enough period of time, especially if kids are involved. Kids and even some adults will give up fishing if they never catch anything. I'm not saying everyone should give up their best spots, or all their spots like I did, but maybe give up a so so spot where at least newbies can catch a few fish and learn to apply the lessons learned at the so so spot to find their own. JMHO
You hit the nail on the head dartman. I myself growing up in MA and spending my summers on Cape Cod or in Maine I knew most of the spots and shared areas here and there. I did have many spots that I developed though, fresh and salt water that ended up getting over run and destroyed. On the Cape I would usually ride my bike as it was easier to hide but had a few real good spots that were of the beaten path destroyed by folks that don't care. On a few occasions I even had some folks following me after leaving a few days before with a biggin.
Well then I moved to NJ, and had no idea where to fish. Folks looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked just for an area. All this did for me was to kill my need to fish. I had not fish the Salt for years except for a boat here and there. Back when I moved there was hardly any internet so finding places was hard and working 60+ hours a week did not give me them time to hunt them down.
Well then I met my wife and move to a Lake and now the fishing bug has set it's hooks again. I have always though and even more now been very willing to help most folks and at the very least send them in the right direction. The last I would want to see is some lose the itch like myself due to time or any help what so ever. And trust me I have put in the time, it's just that my time was spent in a different area.

That there is the real deal and is what can happen when a bite gets posted onto the Internet.
The word leaked out and the place went nuts.
The boardwalk behind the jetty had a crowd of fishermen on it every day for two weeks. If some bait showed, or, God help him, someone caught a fish, the entire mob would go racing down to start casting - total mayhem, dangerous, unfishable mayhem.

I know because it's one of my regular spots and I took the picture.
Sure as Hell didn't fish there that day, took one look, got disgusted, took the photo, and went off to try and find fish elsewhere.

Went down with my wife and kids just to go to the beach a few days later. Took this picture
Click on it to see it full size.

Water Sky Beach Natural environment Body of water

that there is the real deal and is what can happen when a bite gets posted onto the internet.
The word leaked out and the place went nuts.
The boardwalk behind the jetty had a crowd of fishermen on it every day for two weeks. If some bait showed, or, god help him, someone caught a fish, the entire mob would go racing down to start casting - total mayhem, dangerous, unfishable mayhem.

I know because it's one of my regular spots and i took the picture.
Sure as hell didn't fish there that day, took one look, got disgusted, took the photo, and went off to try and find fish elsewhere.

Went down with my wife and kids just to go to the beach a few days later. Took this picture
click on it to see it full size.

View attachment 12926
sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no,fishing spots should never be given out in detail.pm or email is the best bet in my opinion.the pictures posted speak for themself.if giving location detail wouldn't be abused it would be a first for me to see this.i've seen in a few cases where someone is having a good time fishing bringing striper's in.when people see this they houver over to the area where the fish are being caught.to the point where it becomes almost impossible to cast your bait or whatever.just my opinion,thanks:usa:

I think spots should be kept off any forum. Im pm or face to face that is on the person giving it out.

Unfortunatly I learned fishing the hard way no one in my family fished.gave it up around 10 out of frustration. 2nd go around I payed attention to what everyone was doin what they caught their fish on.

I had to find all my spots on my own.Perfect my presentation

Now that I started striper fishing Im sort of back to square 1. I personally find that the enjoyable part of fishing myself.

I voted never on the forum. who wants thier spots taken away or have some amatuer fisherman ruin it and trash it up.

Spot burning is an issue for the ages!!!!Being a sand bound fisherman the burn can really hurt when the fish are moving.Any of us who hit the beach hard and find fish during the run see the effect of the burn.It turns a beach into a mall.I'm against specific locations being posted but I will tell a friend where I caught.A little illustration........

Thanksgiving day 2009 Brick beach 2 we slaughtered bass for 2 hours straight on the middle of incoming.Man if we caught 1 we caught 70.T-hex and teasers sometimes 2 at once.The next morning my buddies who I was fishing with went back and viola there was like 100 guy's there.Now only 2 guy's knew we where on the second bar and knew exactly where we where fishing but for the love of Mike!!!@##@%$##$!@%%^!!!

It seems somebody who saw us fishing posted it somewhere and totally lit it up!

The whole issue is insane especially when dealing with migrating fish.The golden window of opportunity is often fleeting and to chase yesterdays news is often fruitless.You should have been here yesterday!!!!!!
The battle cry of the sharpie!!!!

FC

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.