Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
psuedo-NOOBIE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me apologize up front for this post. But I just hafta let this one out of the bag. Hit one of my spots in the Hahbah to toss a line from the shore for a few tonight and needless to say the bite was on! Brought in 3 linesiders within 30 minutes. A 22" at 5lbs, a 26" at 7lbs and my PB a 33" at 12lbs 12oz!!! Sucker pulled a kamikaze on me and ran straight into me before turning at the last minute to make a run for it. Thought I was gonna lose that one with the line going slack like that and me using a circle hook. But thankfully the fish gods found me in favor tonite. The two shorts went back in the water and swam off without a hitch. (Go circle hooks!) The keepa'... well that is what it is. Needless to say, I don't think I'll ever bring home anything bigger than 35inches. Way too big to clean, and I hear they don't taste very good bigger than that anyways. Once again, I apologize for my blatant brag post, I know it's not much compared to a lot of other fish gettin' caught, but this noob is stoked!!! I can also report that all three were hosting some sea lice. I actually got to see what they looked like! So they're still comin' in fresh gang. Go out and git some. New moon this week and a nice 11.6' high tide tonight really made my night. :yay:

·
3,471 Posts
Why are you apologizing ?
That's exactly how a report post is supposed to be written.

I haven't seen a fish with sea lice in almost a month sad10.gif

·
psuedo-NOOBIE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is sea lice? Do i sound stupid asking this?
Don't be afraid to ask. Up until I caught these, I had never actually seen sea lice before. From what I've read up on them, they are the larvae form of some thing, sea anemones I think. They're just superficial parasites that like to suck on stripers for a little bit and jump off. I've read a lot of debate on whether sea lice on a striper is good or bad. For what it means to us in these northern states is that the striper is fresh, meaning just migrated into the area. After some time along the NE they will jump ship. Sea lice tend not to like our water (temps, ph, etc.) They never go deeper than scales and skin and will usually vacate the premises rather quickly after landing the fish. So no problems if you plan on making dinner. I filet and skin my stripers anyways so no worries here. This is what I have gathered from my inquisitive lurking on the sea lice topic. Anybody, please correct me if I've shot out some mis-information. Like I said before... I'm just a first year noob to stripers. BTW, Steve I was chuckin' out seaworms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.