Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first instruction that I got in fishing the river mouth was:

• Place clam on hook.
  • Heave clam out into water as far as you can.
  • Leave bail open for a half a minute or more and let the line play out into the current.
  • Sit and wait until the fish eats the clam.
It's the last two steps that I have a question about. First, even though I am using a two once weight it seems to me that the whole rig gets carried along the current and not just the bait (clam). I tried more weight but the rod can't handle it, it casts closer AND it doesn't hold the line any straighter. I tried using a whole clam thinking that the flow would effect the greater surface area would drag just the clam. It doesn't seem to affect things any. Furthermore, if I am casting out on the incoming tide and, for some reason, the weight stick to the bottom, wouldn't the bait just be drifting back to shore if I left the bail open? Aren't there two currents any way? There is the top current of warm, fresh river water running into the sea and cold, slat ocean water flowing into the flats. Right?

Also, how long should I leave the bait in place on the bottom. I have heard every ting from 15 minuets to 45 minuets? What is a good length of time?

Thanks guys so much!

·
4,419 Posts
Grumpy said:
Leave bail open for a half a minute or more and let the line play out into the current
Why the heck would you leave your bail open with a clam? Close the bail unless your livelining something or drifting something.
If your fishing in current where two ounces wont hold then you need a rod that will handle more than two ounce weights. Pick up a bait rod at a yard sale or a cheap one at modells or something. Something rated 2 to 6 ounces at the very least. If your need 8 ounce weights just to hold bottom you need a big rod whats known as 8 and bait. Rated 4 to 12.
Keep it simple. Forget the dual current and all the other crap you read about.
If your rod can only handle the two ounces use it in calmer water or throw some 1 to 2 ounce lures with it.
Check you bait every 10 -15 minutes or so.

This article might be helpful
http://www.stripers247.com/Catchingastripedbass.htm

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
yea, who in the hell told you to open your bail? lmfao
get the better rod and you can fish like zim. if you fish in some heavy current areas you have to beef up/ and going out without the right stuff you are gonna get frustrated real quickly. lets get back to basics. this case study is a do-over. grasshopper? get rod and return for wax on wax off!

Attachments

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why the heck would you leave your bail open with a clam? Close the bail unless your livelining something or drifting something.
If your fishing in current where two ounces wont hold then you need a rod that will handle more than two ounce weights. Pick up a bait rod at a yard sale or a cheap one at modells or something. Something rated 2 to 6 ounces at the very least. If your need 8 ounce weights just to hold bottom you need a big rod whats known as 8 and bait. Rated 4 to 12.
Keep it simple. Forget the dual current and all the other crap you read about.
If your rod can only handle the two ounces use it in calmer water or throw some 1 to 2 ounce lures with it.
Check you bait every 10 -15 minutes or so.

This article might be helpful
http://www.stripers247.com/Catchingastripedbass.htm
Thank you. I read that before. I read it again now. i DO have a stronger rod but it's very heavy duty so I haven't been using it much. I don't even want to talk about all the lures that I have lost!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
WHAT KIND OF ROD!!!???
YOU POSTED THIS IN AN EARLIER THREAD

I replaced the tip on my old 10' heavy action spinning rod and took it out to the beach. I was able to cast the same load (2oz weight leader and clam) farther with my med-hvy action 8 foot rod than with the 10 footer. I thought that the stiffer, longer rod would BY FAR outcast the smaller, bendier rod. I guess not. What I want to know is why? If I added more weight, say 3 or 4 oz. total, wold it cast better?

I tried to look for other uses for a 10' long heavy rod but other than plugging for Great Whites, hurling things into the ocean from the beach was all that I could find.

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WHAT KIND OF ROD!!!???
YOU POSTED THIS IN AN EARLIER THREAD

I replaced the tip on my old 10' heavy action spinning rod and took it out to the beach. I was able to cast the same load (2oz weight leader and clam) farther with my med-hvy action 8 foot rod than with the 10 footer. I thought that the stiffer, longer rod would BY FAR outcast the smaller, bendier rod. I guess not. What I want to know is why? If I added more weight, say 3 or 4 oz. total, wold it cast better?

I tried to look for other uses for a 10' long heavy rod but other than plugging for Great Whites, hurling things into the ocean from the beach was all that I could find.
Yep, that's the one!
What kind? Oh gosh, I don't know! It's 15 years old big black and some generic brand. I tried looking it up before but I didn't find ANY information about it on the internet. It is a very stiff rod. The bait shop that repaired the top said that they only had one guide that would fit it and it was super-heavy duty.

Stand By........

It's a MAXTECH 10FT.BRUTE
/3/0 10' heavy action Made in Korea for WBG

It has a Silstar CX80 reel that is rated for 310 yards of 8 pound line to 100 yards of 25 pound line.

·
4,419 Posts
Thats a broom stick for sure. To get any use out of it you need to throw eight ounce weights and a bunker head and the reel is definately too flimsy.
Look on ebay for a cheap combo. The best are yard sales. You might get lucky and pick something up for a few dollars.
You definately need new gear.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
it;s too good to be true. this man needs a whole forum of his own like a gunny forum. i'll help every day till he gets it right. omg. a *mission* where is my flute?idea1.gifdirector.gif:frustrated::BeerEmoticon:

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it;s too good to be true. this man needs a whole forum of his own like a gunny forum. i'll help every day till he gets it right. omg. a *mission* where is my flute?idea1.gifdirector.gif:frustrated::BeerEmoticon:
No one that I know knows any thing about fishing at all. Neither do I. I got that one little one and now I want more! I started fishing preiod this spring and in a pond I can catch all kinds of things BUT I know that there are bass or trout or pickerel in there. I know where they are: it's just a matter of catching one. Salt water? There are only so many stripers out there and they can range wherever they want. There are no constraints like on a lake. I don't know if I'm using the right rod. I don't know if I'm fishing the right places, times or tides. I don't know if I'm using the right bait or lures or if I'm presenting them right. I have read and re-read all of the articles and sticky here and other forums. I have climbed over, under and through all kinds of rock, weeds, woods and muck. I stayed up way too late and gotten up way to early. I still couldn't catch a cold. Some day, some combination will work. Then I'll have my baseline. Right now my baseline is clams from the nort shore of PI. That's a little to much "hopeing" and not much "doing". You guys have been great to me. I guess I can be a little needy but I'm slightly, um, "focused" right now. Doing, reading, dreaming about striper fishing.

Thank you ALL so much for all the help!!!!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
your not giving up are you? youve just begun to get the frustration of fishing in. this is not the time of year to be expecting alot of fish. this is the time to get ready for when the fishing picks up and you are hopefully prepared with the right tools and knowlege of simple basic fishing technique. you already suffered enough i think. you need to listen and do what you are told. none of this cheap ass gear and expecting a miracle. you need to focus and concern yourself with what is necessary to be successful. not no 10 dollar reel and leftover from woodstock rod. if you are unable to get the basic necessities for the one thing you wanna do and that is chunk bait from close to shore then it is a set-up geared for that. the poor me syndrome is only gonna make matters worse for you. snap out of it. walking crawling stumbling over rocks and weeds when you don;t know that aspect of angling and fishing yet is a waste of time without the proper gear. making due with what you have don;t cut it and limits your ability. that rod and reel i could catch fish with if i cast it and knew where to go but nobody will tell you where to go cause you have not paid your dues and not earned anyones trust as the internet junkie fishing site trawlers lurk to get what you want without said dues. lighten up and do what is necessary to please the masses into believing you are serious and stop whining and DO! now can we start over and get with the program?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
there are several options and in a couple of weeks all of the tackle in walmart/kmart/etc will be on sale and this is a place to get a really good deal on a rod and reel setup that is equiped with line as well. you should be in tune with when and where it occurs. in most cases you will get a set-up for 40 dollars give or take a few. i have seen an 11ft ugly stik with a shakespeare reel (not the greatest in the world but a steal at that price) for 49.99 the rod alone is worth 60-80 bucks.
step two is tackle and that will vary on where and what you intend to fish. if it is not in your budget to buy a new setup you will be in need of some form of ebay help which can be just as costly but not a hands on approach ro see if it feels good. the rod should say 2-4oz lure and the reel should say on the side 15-25lb test and some will say 10-30 but you need a spool that will hold a considerable amount of line. we on the same page?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts