Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripers Forever members - anglers in Maryland have had enough of gill nets in Chesapeake Bay - amen to that - and have put together an online petition to abolish them for presentation to MD officials. They have also started a manual version and secured over 800 signatures at a fishing show in MD this past weekend. There are some good people behind this and they've asked us to urge our members to sign this petition. Getting rid of these indiscriminate killers would also get us one step closer to game fish status for striped bass in Chesapeake Bay. Let's put a few thousand signatures on this petition. It doesn't matter what state you are from, striped bass don't pay any attention to state lines. Thank you. Brad Burns

·
swabbie
42 Posts
Just signed it, thanks for the heads up.... now if we can only get em to stop netting off the North Carolina coast we may be making some real headway.... cinch

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know if they'll accept a signature from Texas, but I'm in, too. There's always a constant assault of resources; thatnks for the e-mail!!

·
Official Member
1 Posts
Just signed the petition. I'm from Tennessee and fish for fresh water stripers at home. I'm here working in Baltimore and have heard the unfortunate news of the poaching of stripers in the illegal gill nets. I wanted to do my part for the Cheasapeake Bay area.
I will be charter boat fishing here soon (April 17th and May 1st) and can't wait to get on some saltwater stripers. Looking to fish from the banks/shore as well.
Thanks!!
David

·
Catch&Releaser
145 Posts
As recreational fishermen, the abolition of excess fish kill in the commercial fishery of Striped Bass would provide a more sustained population and plenty more free dinners for the family. My hope is that with new rules in the industry, Striped Bass price in marketplaces will rise slightly. But, enough so that the price/lb delivered to the fisherman from dealers would be attractive enough for the recreational fisherman to use their own rod and reel to meet more of the market demand.if Virginias politicians take action in cleaning up the commercial fisheries due to the frustrated voices of the people, i believe it'll set a chain reaction in other less aware states along the East coast among fisherman who believed they cant affect their states policy.

Im 18 and already obbsesed with fishing everyday during the summer. im speaking for the younger generation in saying with the schooling we are getting these days which emphasizes strongly humans past effects to the enviroment and animal population; that every year, a class of eco-brainwashed college grads will mix into society and will lead the change to a greener country.

Besides, who wouldnt want MORE fish to catch?

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Source - Baltimore Sun
March 1, 2011

"Maryland DNR Secretary John Griffin has promised to meet with stakeholders to see whether the gill net fishery can be modified to ensure more accountability. If those changes and stricter penalties don't work, nets may have to be phased out, he said.
Anti-poaching legislation will be heard Tuesday in the state Senate. One bill would give DNR the authority to revoke a watermen's license to harvest striped bass or blue crabs after an administrative hearing. Another bill would set a $25,000 fine and a year in jail for a waterman convicted of poaching on a suspended license."

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi guys , i havent been on the site much but i think this is one of the best fishing blogs i have seen. i lived in northern va for about 3 yrs working for the electrical union and when i see a mud puddle i wonder if there are fish in it. i grew up along the Hudson and love striper season. i ad mit i have looked at the girlie pics but only to appreciate beauty. signed into petition. hope we have a good season this yr . wonder though its kinda crazy around the world lately. maybe the man upstairs is tired of us poulting the planet which all ends up in the water. good luck to all.
waterchaser

1 - 15 of 15 Posts