Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Jigologist
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do they handle braid?? 11 ballbearings--should last a couple seasons anyways..

just wondering if anyone has one that's using braid on it..

wanna set up one more ditch rig before I get down there.. this is going on a 9' st croix good for 3oz.. a bit light for the ditch but should be a fun setup..

TIA thumbsup.gif

· I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
I bought a 6000 and then gave it to my dad. I don't know, they are good reels, I'm just going with metal bodies from now on. You definitly will get a couple of seasons out of it. Another good Penn like the Captiva is the Silverado series. cigar.gif

· Lunker
103 Posts
jigman, i have one

use braid....works fine for all my needs....i even cast a plug or two when I do not feel like switching poles.....no give in the fight so you have to wind down fast when they get in close and keep the pressure consistent, but as for problems....nope

· The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers
4,759 Posts
I had one, cheap white metal....snapped the handle clean off on the first decent fish. Have a 5000 baitrunner model left over, use it for chunking in the marsh. Not sure about braid, but I used Fireline on them ok. A fishin buddy also snapped the handle on a 5000 fighting a 20 pound fish at the dam 2 seasons ago.

· Jigologist
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like I'd better be easy one it.. sounds a bit soft in the handle department.... got it for 30 bucks though, so what the heck.. maybe get a season out of it cadicted.gif

· Registered
81 Posts
The handle breaking off is the biggest problem with that reel, that and the screw on the bail that keeps it from flipping over gets loose, its a nice reel, it just can't take any abuse if you ask me, I use braid on mine and it works fine, and i've used 3 different kinds of braid on it. my advice is just be easy on it, you'd be better off buying an okuma avenger, or stratus for the price they take alot more abuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.