Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Lunker
145 Posts
Dues

I myself was lucky enough to have a man take me under his wing for a couple of years. He has passed away now and I think of him every time I go. That was back when the length limit was high and the fish numbers were low. I live in VT and traveled to the Canal just about every weekend and fished friday night and saturday night then drive back home. I remember the very first legal striper I caught, it was 38" and weighed 23.7. I was as proud as I could be. That was 1969. I have fished stripers ever since. I still have alot to learn and listen to anyone that might help me be better at this sport. I fish the saco area now, I walked the beach last weekend with the drainer of a tide that we had and found a few spots I can't wait to try next week. As far as using bait , I use what ever it takes to catch fish, isn't that why we are out there. VT

·
First Mate
864 Posts
Great thread!
I'm still very far from having paid my dues. But working at it is a labor of love. This site along with the tons of books I have read, have really have made a diffrence, but nothing beats being on the water just wish I could be out there more.

·
Official Member
47 Posts
WOW!! I didnt know SO MANY others were suffering / had paid dues... I often felt guilty for putting myself through the pain (tendonitis / sleep deprivation / injuries from falls / sacrifice of time / buying PLUGS / PARKING TICKETS).

I thought my fishing was a destructive addiction...(addiction = behavior that produces instant gratification at expense of making your life unmanagable)

Better to be addicted to this wonderful sport than other things thumbsup.gif.

Seriously, Jim.. this is a wonderful board, and I am sure you have put alot of time into it... I run a linux server and use apache to serve a website for my Family Medicine residency program.. and it is very time consuming... and a big responsibility.. I would like to thank you for this board. It has given me peace of mind, and a sense of companionship (although I don't even know any one here yet).

·
First Mate
767 Posts
As many of you know this is my first year of chasing the striped goddess and I still have a lifetime of learning and due paying left. I am so very thankful for this site as it has made the due-paying process a whole hell of a lot easier. I will use the beavertail gathering as a prime example... The info that the Gunny handed out that day about fishing the rips would have taken me years to learn... I still have very little clue on how to read the beach but due to fishing popham with Striper Jim, I know the basics of fishing an eddy pool. Tips and tricks that have taken many years to learn have been handed to me on a silver platter and for that I would like to thank every person who makes this board what it is. While fishing Fort Popham with Jim, the question was posed as to what we should do about fire in the water. Without hesitation my answer was "light lines and light tackle." How did I know that? Only a week before The Roc had posted that answer to the very same question. Without this board I would be lost and probably would have given up my pursuit of the striped one. Great friends have made my life so much more enjoyable and I owe it to all of you. THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!

Bryan

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
I think the ones that pay the dues, that get out there with a passion are the ones who reap the benefits. There are week end warriors, that are what they are, And that's ok. But the ones who go out and do this thing we do, because it's in our blood, are the ones this is about.
I know I love the anticipation, I love being out there on the rocks. I love the feel of the bass pulling. But I have a passion for what we do. It just ain't fishing!
I want to be the best at this thing we do. Because I love it.:pbChristmas:

·
Lunker
467 Posts
Great post says a lot.......and a great website.......I learned a ton of stuff on this site this year. I love fishing... especially from the surf. At least now when I tangle my lines, forget to open my bale, and drop tackle or my flashlight in the water......I know Im in good company!!!..... happy holidays..signed the new Googan in town

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ten years ago on Thanksgiving eve, My friend Paul and I were making our final try of the season on the Freddie C. It was perfect conditions, 20-30 kt winds, Rain and 15 foot sea's. Paul and I are standing shoulder to shoulder with one guy between us and the other 50 guys. All of a sudden the guy inbetween us decides its time to chum. He bends over the rail and lets it go. The wind decided to gust at that point and it did a 180 and covered us. I looked over at Paul and he looked at me and said " yup, it doesn't get any better then this". And since that night, we've both been hooked. Were now learning the surf and the information from here has so far been a great help, But condoms in your tackle bag?
Thanks everyone.
Churchman

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you everyone! It is great to see that I am not alone struggling to get started fishing for stripers. I just moved to Rhode Island from Chicago and have done my fair share of fishing for Sm/Lm bass, northerns and musky. So watching the tides, jumping around on the rocks and fishing the surf is all new to me. This has rekindled my downed spirit... :mental:

41 - 53 of 53 Posts