Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just interested in some of your thoughts on paying your dues learning how to fish for stripers. It certainly can be an elusive SOB but knowing its habits and learning how to to scout spots, the proper ways of reading water and beaches. Learning structure, tides, currents, moon phases, forage, feeding and spawning habits, plugs, baits, wind and various other subtleties that go into hunting striped bass.
It can take years to learn this properly. I know some of the guys here spent as much as 40+ years learning it. I wish I had a mentor to teach me how to do it but I didnt so I gladly listened to what I could from other fishermen I fished with. For the most part It was something that this loner could do all by himself. So learning from someone else was rare for me. I was lucky enough to have some guys who worked with me fish like I did, all night and into the next night. I spent most of the time with cut bait and sand worms and caught an awesome amount of fish with that method. Some advice was good and some was terrible. Many of the fish in the beginning were slammer blues, they would hit like freight trains from the surf in the summer time. Then summer would give way to fall and bass. Years of bad knots, crappy gear, improper or malfunctioning drag settings all are now improved through trial and error.
Never in my life did I ask someone for a spot. Nor did someone teach me how to throw a plug. I watched others, read as much as I could and went out and practiced with the same damn plug over and over till my hands, knuckles and fingers were cut, scraped or bleeding. Lost more plugs than caught fish and didnt catch many fish at all. Then I would try to get a feel for the next plug and then the next one.
I kept my eyes and ears open and looked for other night lights on the beach and then went there at low tide to look at the bottom to see if I could discover anything out about the place that was static or dynamic. Its a lot harder these days because of physical limitations and I have a long long way to go but maybe in a few more years I can say i feel like Im a decent fisherman. But until that time ill just keep plugging along and learning as much as I can from all you guys. There is nothing on Gods green earth like being at the surf in a mystical fog waiting for moby fish to happen by and the battle is on.
:cheers: and thank you
Jim

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
jigman said:
learning to fish in their kitchen and dining room, not the hallways;
Nice post Jigman for sure.
I revisit this thread because I was searching something online and i
came across a thread in another online forum that i usually dont frequent.
It was called 'Bunker fishermen arent really fishermen'.
It caught my attention because it sparked a spirited debate and I think
it got locked after 18 pages. The guy was lamenting the fact that big fish
were being slaughtered by novices who used bunker and to him in his mind this was tantamount to cheating. (Im paraphrasing)
Anyone who could snag a bunker and let it drop was cheating. Apparantly The fish would only be aknowledged by him if you caught it after years of painful dues paying. Through days and nights of beach recon, caught in the surf on a plug handcrafted in the molds of the great surfmasters of yore.
How dare you catch a 50 pounder without having to break your ass like he did. The poor guy must have paid some heavy, heavy dues. He would probably cry had he seen the picture of the 14 year old girl who won the MV derby last year on cut bait. Catching a 50 pound fish from the surf is a feat to be marveled at for sure. But to these guys it doesnt count.
Hopefully some day I'll have the good fortune of catching a 50 pounder and even better on a handcrafted plug. I assure you it will count to the only person that matters. Me!! I hope i have the good sense to release it
and resist the temptation to show it off, but i dont know if thats what i'd do because it hasnt happened. My biggest fish came from the surf and no one ever saw it nor was it weighed. It was released back to swim another day. And by the way it was caught on bunker. I can tell you it counted to me. That doesnt mean I dont enjoy trying to catch a 50 on a plug but if
its on bunker or a potato peeler that will be just fine with me.
thumbsup.gif

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Rob said:
Condoms in the tackle bag?
That was my lifetime supply Rob. All two of them.
They were in the pocket of the Survival coat. :redbiggrin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.