Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
758 Posts
Re: Old Orchard Beach, Maine ordinances would prohibit fishing from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Memorial D

I agree that fishermen have no business trying to fish on a busy beach but OOB doesn't need to pass a ordinance to deal with it. Either way they would have to enforce, so they should just let the lifeguards and police do what they are paid to do....protect and serve...

·
Banned
758 Posts
Re: Old Orchard Beach, Maine ordinances would prohibit fishing from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Memorial D

Just got an email from a reporter up there. Called her and gave her my thoughts. She was at the meeting and said many of the local residents were against the ordinance because they felt the town was being to restrictive. I suggested she speak to Gunny on the subject but her contact info is listed below for anyone that wants to place a call.

Hello Jon,
I am a reporter with a newspaper in Biddeford, Maine. I heard of your interest in the proposed beach ordinance and your opinion that it is not enforceable. I would like to talk to you about this some time in the next few days.
Thanks for your time,
Liz

Elizabeth Gotthelf
Journal Tribune Staff Writer
[email protected]
207-282-1535, Ext. 325
457 Alfred Street
Biddeford, Maine 04005

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts

Just got an email from a reporter up there. Called her and gave her my thoughts. She was at the meeting and said many of the local residents were against the ordinance because they felt the town was being to restrictive. I suggested she speak to Gunny on the subject but her contact info is listed below for anyone that wants to place a call.

Hello Jon,
I am a reporter with a newspaper in Biddeford, Maine. I heard of your interest in the proposed beach ordinance and your opinion that it is not enforceable. I would like to talk to you about this some time in the next few days.
Thanks for your time,
Liz

Elizabeth Gotthelf
Journal Tribune Staff Writer
[email protected]
207-282-1535, Ext. 325
457 Alfred Street
Biddeford, Maine 04005
I met that girl the other night @ the meeting and I think she may have thought she was talking to you when she got my name and such, but not sure!!!! I was rocking the Stripers 247 hat and another guy at the meeting recognized me from my posts on here as well. I'll have to give her a call or an email and let my feelings be voiced/heard and printed out for all to see. Hmmmm, gonna go work on that!!! I wanna know who the "group out of Massachusetts" that had a statement read that simply said "If you pass this ordinance we will take you to court." I'm fighting the good fight up here though, even though I sounded like kind of a tool when I spoke, my message of being opposed to this 100% came across loud and clear!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts

Ok jon, I shot this lady an email as well so here's hoping we can create enough of a stir to get this stopped before it's too late. Here's what I wrote her, enjoy. . . . . . .

Dear Ms. Gotthelf,

I am writing this letter to you with grave concern regarding the proposed ordinance in Old Orchard Beach that would prohibit fishing off the beach between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Memorial Day to Labor Day. While I would have liked to see a greater turnout on behalf of the public at Tuesday's town hall meeting, I was pleased with those who did show up and voiced their opinions opposing this idea. The "rules" already in place on the beach, which are both fair and reasonable, don't carry nearly the merit necessary to warrant an ordinance be put in place. If you remember, I asked for the number on incidents had been reported, on the record, where patrons of OOB were injured as a result of negligence of recreational fisherman. The response given by the Lifeguard Capt. was of an incident regarding an intoxicated man, fishing with his wife, whom neither the lifeguard staff nor local police were able to remove from the beach due to the lack of "anything in writing" to support their request. The number of police cadets hired during the summer months who patrol that beach do so nearly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They have little problem harassing myself and others to ensure complete compliance with both local beach rules and town bylaws, the most notable being public drinking which is strictly prohibited. To suggest that an officer could not remove this gentleman for a number of infractions ranging from disturbing the peace to public intoxication or disorderly conduct is beyond me and lacks any semblance of logic. The number of incidents which require "necessary force" be used are few and far between. Common sense and the letter of the law oftentimes clash, but this proposed ordinance is a knee-jerk reaction with an irrational solution to an all but non-existent problem. In my opinion it would stir up more trouble and cause more of a nuisance, especially to local small business owners, than it would in serving the general safety and well being of the public. The timing of this ordinance is also suspect, seemingly a fly-by-night proposal to rush it onto the books before tourist season which is fast approaching. This extends well past a matter of public interest or constitutional rights, but it will also affect a number of local business' along East and West Grand Avenue that rent fishing and surfing gear. In the long run local bait shops such as Chevy's @ Camp Ellis as well as larger outfits such as Saco Bay Bait and Tackle and Cabella's will suffer in the long run . As an active member of Stripers247.com, as well as Stripers Forever, I'm sure I speak on behalf of many when I say that I will do anything and everything within my power to ensure that this proposal meets its demise. I thank you in advance for your time and consideration regarding this matter, and I sincerely hope that with strength in numbers and drawing attention to this we can put an end to it before it starts.

Sincerely,

William Evangelista

·
Banned
758 Posts

Will your email to here mentions several of the points I brought up. The town council woman was had asked to read my comments...I wonder if she did. Regardless it seems to me that we might have this one in the bag. As Liz had mentioned that several local residents spoke out against this......yes local residents...in most cases we read about its the local folk that support these initatives...most likely to gain some sort of exclusivity in regards to beach access...anyhow it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Well done gentlemen. Respectful and intellegently worded.
The portion of a beach that has lifegaurds should be avoided by fishermen as small children do run the risk of stepping on a rusty fish hook and or or trebles. however.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts

The town council woman was had asked to read my comments...I wonder if she did
Funny you should mention that jon as there were several emails/comments read at the meeting from folks who were unable to attend......but I don't think I heard your name mentioned. A guy by the last name of Toguissant read the out-of-town emails that he received....not 100% sure but I dont think they read yours.

P.S. I was definitely rocking the Stripers 247.com hat at the meeting :a_goodjob:

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Banned
758 Posts

Good stuff! It will be intersting to see what happens.

·
Lunker
145 Posts

I believe the town concil has tabled this until a later date,More than likely after it has cooled down some they will try to pass it some tuesday night when nobody is watching.VT

·
Banned
758 Posts

Good to know I will have to get in touch with the town and find out exactly when they plan on bringing up the subject again. I would suspect sooner than later as the tourist season is nearly upon them.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts

I believe the town concil has tabled this until a later date,More than likely after it has cooled down some they will try to pass it some tuesday night when nobody is watching.VT
Too bad for them that I'll still be around on "some random Tuesday" night to give 'em hell. :dizzy:

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
Banned
758 Posts

Hey Will any updates on this? I haven't heard anything as of late....

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts

Last I heard it got put off to a later date (whatta they call that again, tabling it maybe???) Summer months are here though so not much they're gonna be able to do this season...one wouldnt think anyway. I'll keep ya posted as info becomes available to me. Tight lines man

StriperHyper ~ Will

·
3,471 Posts

If it's tabled then this is your opportunity to kill it for good !!

DO NOT SIT BACK AND WAIT FOR IT TO RESURFACE !

NOW is when you should have a letter writing/e-mailing campaign targeting the local councilpeople and mayor with everything :cc copied to the head of the state dept. that handles access issues (here in Jersey it the Dept of Environmental Protection) also have them :cced to the editorial sect. of whichever large newspaper has the most coverage of ocean fishing.

If you can create enough stink the polititians will drop the entire issue like it's a burning ball of dog chit.

Trust me, I've done it exactly this in the past here in NJ and it's worked like magic. As soon as the polititians think an issue is going to cost them significant votes they run the other way. On the flip side the smart pols will align themselves with a group that they think will get them votes (That would be Frank Pallone here in NJ)

Another trick: Figure out who in state government chairs the comittee that sends the most funding to the town in question (might not even be funding for the beaches - funding for anything is fine so long as it's substantial) Get that person on board with you and the fight is done.
When we fought the Coast Guard over the fence they put up barring access to the Sandy Hook Rips we got the chair of the Senate armed forces comittee behind us - the guy who controls all the funding to the services (and who just happened to be a Senator from NJ :biglaff:)
Not only did we get the fence down, we expanded our access area to places we hadn't been allowed in over 25 years.

·
Banned
758 Posts

Suds,

That's a good idea and I think I will try and do just that.

·
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

As an FYI - The new ban fishing regulation on Old orchard beach wasnt adopted.
Only surfboards are banned during the daytime which existed already.
It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in surfing or the use of surfboards in the ocean tidewaters along the shore of the town between the dates of June 21 and Labor Day of each year at times and places not provided in this division.
These are the ordinances

21 - 37 of 37 Posts