Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Old fisherman new Member from Long Island

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  swamp yankee 
#1 ·
OK so I am new to this club although I seem to remember Johnny Bolts name I thought it was from another club. That was a couple of years ago and I was looking for info on Bass fishing downeast in Belfast ME.
I have been chasing stripers the better part of 40 years either from a boat or the surf. Today I own a 22 whaler on a trailer and at age 58 I am still chasing these magnificent fish .Tomorrow 6/30/06 I am heading to the western sound where the bunker schools and bass have been holding for about 5 weeks now, usually it ends by Fathers Day but this year the bite has extended till last week and hopefully to the 4th.
My love is drift fishing live bait or throwing large plugs either from the surf or boat. I am not real good a writing and not even sure if I am posting in the right place. I am always looking to meet new friends and fish new spots usually where the bait schools are and I am willing to travel most any ware. I am interested in fishing the CT side of the sound or out of Shinnecock Inlet.Looking forward to making new friends.In the surf I am know as the DOG and on my Whaler they call me RB Thanks again.

#7 ·
No why is Long Island named so?
The north shore fishing trip went well we had a real good day and today 7/1/06 I stayed in my own back yard and managed to do ok in spite of all the boat traffic.I can say that I really don't remember striper fishing being so good although big fish are hard to come by.
Tommorow the wife and I are headed for Mattatuck looking for some public ramps that I might use out that way.I would like to fish "THE MIDDLE GROUNDS" in Peconic Bay.I am also looking for someone who knows the area.
Happy and safe 4th to all.
RB

#12 ·
Hi RB, welcome. When I am not fishing off the piers in Manhattan I fish off the bulkheads in Fire Island almost exclusively bay side. I seldom fish from our boat; however from the bulkhead this year I have enjoyed quite an array of fish including a couple of 18 lb stripers about 30" or so just a couple of weeks back. (I'll post some pics below).

Was dialing into mostly 1 and a half to 2 foot blue fish and more skates and sea robins then I can shake a stick at. My wife and I ate the first striper and the one I caught later that week got tossed back. Heard some nice weaks and flukes were being taken off boats in the bay. I think this was my first June that I didn't nail a single flatty from the bulkhead.

Looking forward to going back next week to greet the incoming blue claw crabs. Already bought the Old Bay.

Hi Jim, Some web master mojo please 8)

#13 ·
Hi adam
Nice fish. I surrounded the urls (web address of pics)
with the
tags

Ah yellow eyed devils.
Crabbing sounds like fun. Been a while for me.
I should dig my traps out of the shed. thumbsup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.