Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
live macks have been working well as usual. sun up, plugs and floating crystal minnow. Saco river has warmed up fast and I think the fishing has slowed a bit, but others still might be slaying them. not sure about others but might want to keep that in mind. hope this helps a little and good luck.

· Registered
26 Posts
Agree that water has warmed up a lot since getting here a few weeks ago. Stripers are definitely still around though, just need to find the spot and throw the right thing to entice them. You can fish up and around Wells off the beach and Drake Island. Supposedly there were some 40"+ caught off of Wells beach from the report at the bait shop link I provided. My SIL told me of someone she knows that caught a 37" in York River harbour only a few days ago. Earlier this week got into them good on the outgoing with 4 over 30", biggest being 33" so that was a fun night. Past few days, only caught one each time in the upper 20's so it's really hit & miss right now. Blues should be here anytime and they are good daytime fun. I'm throwing soft plastic and flies at the Stripers.

· Registered
9 Posts
The herring run passed through maine about 4 weeks ago if you are an avid fly fisher men there are pkenty left. the mackeral are bye the bushel up there. Chnge up and go bigger baits rather than small if you have aboat go through the Jeti of Wells beach i fish there alot If anywhere else go to to areas like perkins cove. There are great areas acessible there. Fishing form the beach i suggest Going off Wells beach im heading uo there for two weeks will be posting pictures if we can tag the big boys up there!

· Registered
6 Posts
I can help you out, I am heading there tommorrow for a week and have been there every summer since birth.

The Best Bait Shop in Ogunquit

A woman runs a bait shop out of her garage that has everything except eels. The best thing about her place is that you can get bait 24 hours a day, its always open, if she is not there its on the honor system. Take what you want and leave the money. Her Herring is good quality, she has a supplier of fresh herring which she packages and freezes so the skin is good and its not mushy. She has some basic tackle as well.

Directions,

On Rt. 1 south heading from the center towards York, go past the playhouse about a mile or so and on the right look for a small signpost and a hanging sign that says Bait at the end of a driveway. Its next to a couple of shops and if I am remembering right there is a crosswalk which had a neon colored sign of a walking person in the middle of the road. Drive down the hill and there is a garage in front of you, can't miss it.

If you want Live Eels

Eldridge Bros. Fly Shop is on Rt. 1 in Cape Neddick, its a mile or so past the other bait on your right, you can't miss the kayaks. They rent kayaks and have guided trips as well, plus a large fly fishing store.

For Gear

Go to Kittery Trading Post, which is in Kittery by the outlets on Rt. 1. near 95.

Other Bait Shops

If North of the Center of Town, there are a few shops on rt. 1 in wells, as well as a good shop at Wells Harbor, Webhannet Bait & Tackle.

· Registered
6 Posts
Fishing locations

Surfcasting

Ogunquit Beach in the evening/night is good. You can park for free and the lot is pretty empty, drive to the far left corner. Outgoing tide is the best, as its safe to walk out on to the sandbars on the right and cast the mouth of the river.

Ogunquit River Bridge

The Bridge is best fished on the incoming tide, and its good during the day and especially in the evening and night. During the day you can see the schools swim by with the tides, and possibly a school of sandeels will be by the bridge as well and you can watch them feed or even jig with a treble for them if you have a small rod.

Marginal Way Jetties and small beaches

There is a walking path from the town to Perkins Cove, which is the town's harbor and there are shops and restaurants there. It has jetties as well as a few small beaches. There is a small parking area accesible if you take a left that goes up a steep hill after leaving town towards the cove, its directly across from Roberto's Italian restaurant. Go over the hill and down the other side and there are a few spots by a lighthouse.

Perkins Cove

There are big stripers lingering here, feasting on the scraps from the lobster/fishing boats and the restaurants. They are finicky and hard to catch, and only success I have ever had was with chunks of herring drifted without weight. Beware when landing a fish, the rocks are very slick. I slipped and tumbled head over heels into the water and almost killed myself once. laughing7.gif

Outside of Ogunquit

In Wells

Drakes Island Jetty, its north on rt. 1 and on the right, there is a sign.

Wells beaches are fishable as well, and you can also fish by the harbor on the webhannet river as there are beaches there as well.

Mousem River Bridge

This is on the border of wells and Kennebunk. It has a boatramp to launch a kayak or small boat. You take the right after the Maine Diner,

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help.....great info, I'm heading up next monday so Ogunquit beach and perkins cove will be on my list.
I figure the river coming out to Ogunquit beach will be a good start at nite.

· Young salt
1,396 Posts
Thanks for the help.....great info, I'm heading up next monday so Ogunquit beach and perkins cove will be on my list.
I figure the river coming out to Ogunquit beach will be a good start at nite.
The brzman is making a trip to the land of north, eh? How long ya gonna be up this way man?

· Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the trip was great, good weather and even got 1 striped one about 25" at night in the river coming into the public beach on a plug on the incoming. i did some bigger ones being caught (35") and not being released either.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.