Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get out an night last night. Not dusk, but night. So I did. I set about about midnight and found a spot at a river mouth on a slight point of land.

This is what it looked like to me: There was, what I thought to be, a sand bar right off of the point and the tide would come in over the sand bar faster than around it. This would cause a void along shore upriver from the sand bar and the water would rip up along shore 90º to the incoming tide. What I thought I saw in the starlight was a pool behind the sand bar between this rip and the main current and that's where I was fishing clams, swim-shad and a jig-headed Sluggo. I caught nothing. Only while I was driving home did I think to myself that perhaps I should have been fishing on the other side of that bar where Billy might be waiting for prey to get washed up to.:smiliedoh:

In the spirit of "The Spot" I won't post exactly where this was, although I suspect that it's A-OK to post spots where there aren't any fish. I'll PM the exact info. Low tide tonight isn't until about dark so I won't get a good look at the structure of this spot for a while but I was hoping to go back tonight.

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
if i were you i would have fished every inch of the the whole area. big bass are lazy and will set up where they have the best shot at an easy meal...sometimes that may be right in the middle of the rough water..just in front of or behind. part of the great hunt is to find the fish...leave no section of water along structure alone...work the whole area untill you find where they. if you have a hard time producing a strike change baits and continue to work the area...untill you are convinced there is no fish, then move on.

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i were you i would have fished every inch of the the whole area. big bass are lazy and will set up where they have the best shot at an easy meal...sometimes that may be right in the middle of the rough water..just in front of or behind. part of the great hunt is to find the fish...leave no section of water along structure alone...work the whole area untill you find where they. if you have a hard time producing a strike change baits and continue to work the area...untill you are convinced there is no fish, then move on.
I guess that's how I would fish for fresh water bass, so it makes sense. It's the bait thing that has me fooled. How long should I wait with the bait in one place until I reel it in and try another place 100 or 200 feet nearby? Should I even try that close or just move with a capital "M"?
I am further handicapped by the fact that my one and only striper was caught on a clam and I have never caught one on any thing else so I think only clams will work.

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
a good rule of thumb i was taught and try to utilize is the "fifteen minute" rule. if you cant produce a strike in fifteen minutes....move. however some spots are just too good to leave. when i plan on staying in one area for a few hours i will change baits and presentations of such baits untill i can produce a strike every fifteen or so minutes...when all options have been exhausted and i cant produce a strike i will them move sometimes returning at a different tide stage. i have a feeling your focus should be on presentation of your bait. try drifting your bait with no weight...or at least very little..then work your way up if you really want to hold bottom in one spot. its possible a cow bass could be sitting 10' from where your bait is sitting and its just not interesting enough for her to scoop it up. if you drift it by her head 10 times she might finally decide so suck it down on the 11th drift. let that bait appear natural to any lurking bass and you will fool more fish into eating it.

·
3,471 Posts
When a bait fish goes through the rough part of a rip it becomes disoriented and thus is easy prey for a bass who can negotiate the rough water with ease. When the bait fish gets through the rough water into the calmer water it regains it's equilibrium and becomes harder for the bass to catch.
Bass don't like to work for their dinner and will lie in wait in a protected spot in the rough area, darting out to grab any bait fish being swept by.

Sounds like you were fishing in the calm water. Oops

·
Official Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When a bait fish goes through the rough part of a rip it becomes disoriented and thus is easy prey for a bass who can negotiate the rough water with ease. When the bait fish gets through the rough water into the calmer water it regains it's equilibrium and becomes harder for the bass to catch.
Bass don't like to work for their dinner and will lie in wait in a protected spot in the rough area, darting out to grab any bait fish being swept by.

Sounds like you were fishing in the calm water. Oops
Heck, I was targeting the calm water. Will some one be my New Dad?

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
I fish spots where bait and such get pulled in with the tide. The bass will sit inside or at the end of this channel and slam the bait.
The same goes for the outflow, as this channel dumps, the bass lay in wait, about a hundred yds in the current. Now, for all of this to work, the bait has to be present. Remember, the fish are where ya get 'em.thumbsup.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts