Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and happy to find this forum

I am new to surfcasting. Have a small rental cottage on the ocean side of outer Cape Cod (Wellfleet). Picked up some gear at a garage sale last summer and tried it out this July. Not such good results but what do you expect when you buy two rods and reels for $20. Also very poor fishing conditions in July with hot clear days and little wind. I am hoping for better (fishing) conditions when I return to Wellfleet in October to close the cottage for the winter. ( I live in Denver.)

My fishing mentor (who I met at a tackle shop a few years ago) suggested I look for a Daiwa Eliminator surf rod and Penn 704 reel. I have been able to snag this Daiwa Eliminator on e*bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221252759324?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and am biddng on another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181179711433?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

There are a lot of Penn 704z's listed and am pretty certain I can get one in the $50-$75 range in good working order.

I would like to have a rod (or maybe two) for bait (10-11') and another shorter
rod (8-9') for plugging.

Any suggestions on my shopping list? Alternatives to the Daiwa Eliminator rod? I have read good stuff about the Penn 704's but haven't found as much about the Daiwa.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Jake.

Any suggestions on another rod I might look to bid on in the $50 -$75 range? I used a Daiwa Eliminator and liked it, but I think they made a bunch of them in that line and hard to tell from some of these eBay listings which are for surf casting and which are for trolling or fresh water.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I don't have any recommendations in that price range, sorry. I used a number of cheapo rods like that when I was first getting started, and they all sucked.

The Tsunami Airwave was OK and you can probably find one around the $100 mark.

Cabela's has Tica surf rods on sale right now and they're not too shabby, but still at the high end of your price range.

You can expect any quality surf rods to be upwards of $200-$300. Quality guides alone will cost more than you're looking to spend on a complete rod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts