Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when fishing from a boat in Long Island sound should I use a chum bucket when using bunker or clam? if so is there a special way to do this?
sorry if this is stupid but never fished from boat before happy3.gif

·
3,471 Posts
Only if you want hordes of bluefish around the boat.

For bass you'll want to chunk rather then chum. Do a search on chunking then come back and ask away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not know that is what it is called but that is what i am doing but have had bad luck the last two times out

any help?

·
Registered
6 Posts
we always get some clam bellies. thaw them the night before or you wont be able to use them till your done fishing. every 5 mins take a hand full and throw it in. we do pretty well. we dont chunk or chum much with bunker because of the blues. we have done better then almost any boats out there both days ive got out so we must be doing something right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am no expert. We did pretty well this year for never doing it before. I took a 3gal round bucket, put 1-2lbs of lead in the bottom, drilled many holes in it up to 1.5". I then buy a 2gal frozen clam bellies bucket, dump it in my chum bucket, and lower it to the bottom. The frozen bait thaws out over several hours. After 5 hours I have about 1/5 of it left in my chum bucket still spreading scent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts