Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. i am an avid small/large mouth bass fisherman but recently have had my eye on surf fishing for stripers. i picked up what i beleive is a good set up to start with.10ftmed,heavy ugly stick(ugly sticks r about all i use but am willing branch out)matched up with an OKUMA AVENGER ABF65 with baitrunner its spooled with 30lb braid,also have a 7ft med heavy UGLYSTICK matched with OKUMA AVENGER ABF40 also with bait runner spooled with 15lb braid for casting some lures or bait when dont need as much distance. picked up a spool of 50lb mono for a leader but not sure if that would work to well against a blue. would like to hear othersthoughts on these set ups or if i need anything else. Oh and wondering what bait would be best this time of year off the surf or in some inlits,was planning on hitting the rivertonight with the kid to catch some eel for live bait to try out and picking up some bloodworms/surf clams. any help would be greatly thanked.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
hello everyone. i am an avid small/large mouth bass fisherman but recently have had my eye on surf fishing for stripers. i picked up what i beleive is a good set up to start with.10ftmed,heavy ugly stick(ugly sticks r about all i use but am willing branch out)matched up with an OKUMA AVENGER ABF65 with baitrunner its spooled with 30lb braid,also have a 7ft med heavy UGLYSTICK matched with OKUMA AVENGER ABF40 also with bait runner spooled with 15lb braid for casting some lures or bait when dont need as much distance. picked up a spool of 50lb mono for a leader but not sure if that would work to well against a blue. would like to hear othersthoughts on these set ups or if i need anything else. Oh and wondering what bait would be best this time of year off the surf or in some inlits,was planning on hitting the rivertonight with the kid to catch some eel for live bait to try out and picking up some bloodworms/surf clams. any help would be greatly thanked.
The 10' will be great to sling bait from the shore with and the 7' you can toss smaller lures like Sluggos, deadly dicks, needlefish, bucktails etc off a jetty, dock or from a boat. My old set up is an 11' Okuma with an Avenger 65 reel, never had a problem with either. I didn't buy it, it was a gift, but I've caught many a fish on it. This time of year, September and going forward, is known as the fall run and widely regarded as the best time of year to fish. I'd focus my efforts off the beach right now and toss clams or fresh mackerel (stay away from the frozen stuff...turns to mush) or my personal favorite, flaoting sand worms. Everything else sounds good though, your line and leader will work well for what you're doing. I wouldn't worry too much about blue fish as there haven't been too many around here in Maine from I've heard save for a few here and there. Live eels work well, probably better off the docks or in the rivers/inlets than out front on the beach, but that may just be me......I've never had much luck tossing them into the surf. One BIG piece of advice I can give ya, if your fishing at night, DON'T get crazy and try casting out to east gish. Nice easy lob casts in between the breakers will give you a better chance at big fish IMO. When the water cools down the big fish will be in close and actively feeding on whatever they can before making the trip back down the coast!!!! Not saying this doesn't hold true during the day as well but especially at night, under the cover of darkness, they seem even more apt to come in closer looking for an easy meal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise so sounds like my rod/reel set is all good to go,
last couple years used to get alot of mackerel off the state pier but lately just havent had the time. so dont got that for bait inless i buy it.(always been the type to get my own baits) Taking the kid out tonight to try and get some 6-12" eels but need to stop at a b&t store on the way to the beach for some more circle hooks so will pick up some clams. got a few hooks fro ma friend but im not sure if they r to small or not, they r octopus 5/0. any other tips and tricks will be appreciated and will check back ina few thanks again and advance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts