Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm new to fly fishing for strippers and wanted some advice on fishing for them. What kind of set up would be good to start with? I've only really fished for trout in rivers. I'm working out in Blythe Ca so will be fishing the Colorado River here.

Any help or advice would be great. Any good book advice?

TW

Tight lines

:flyfish:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Tortoise,
Did not see this or would have responded sooner.
Stripers if they are around are quick to take. Good general equipment is an 8 weight with a floating line and sink tip. The reel should definitely have some sort of drag,
Flies- Clouser minnows, chartruese over white is good.
Moving water or if in lakes follow the birds.

BD:flyfish:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here and new to Striper fishing on the fly.

Just did the Fly Fishing Show in Lancaster and got myself an 8WT rig and a ton of advice from some of the best fly tiers in PA.

Every expert I talked to said a 6-12" Rainbow Trout imitation is the killer, but they also said it's illegal to use from the PA bank of the river because it imitates a game fish.

I'll keep you posted.

Don
NE Philly

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the great opportunity to first with both of the fisherman who held all of the IGFA records for fly taken freshwater stripers, Al Whitehurst and Len Berden, all they used were Clouser Minnows. My personal best , 35 lb'er, was taken on a CM, 2.5 inches long , white bottom with a grey top.
Hard to beat those Clouser Minnows in freshwater!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stripping is better than fly fishing in general because it gives you an opportunity to get close to the fish and to see the strike in its entirety. It is also a very simple technique that doesn’t require a lot of gear. To fish using stripping, you only need a fly rod, a stripping basket, and a float. The rod I would recommend is a 8 to 9 foot rod because it will give you the feel to set the hook properly and to get control of the striper. The rest depends on how much you want to fish and how much you are willing to invest. Having said that, you don’t even need the basket and float to fish. If you are willing to fish with a bobber, you can use that instead of the basket and float.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts