Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anybody could help me out with any tips for striper fishing near albany from a boat? I've fished newburgh mostly and just drifted bloods in the middle of the water column. Up here is it drifting or anchoring? will mostly use cut or live herring possibly bloods? Any help would be much appretiated.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
1st off , welcome aboard !
:icon_salute2:

Lot of questions here, with mult answers to each ...

-Herring are by far the choice bait up here.

-Live or fresh chunk/cut bait ... preference thing, I personally want live. :icon_thumright:

-You can anchor or drift ... again a preference thing. Sometimes you have to mix it up and try the diff depths, can change day by day.

When you have some time, read back through reports from last year and even further back, Lots & Lots of information on here from a lot of good fishermen.

We're getting closer , just a few weeks now as long as mother nature doesn't blow the river out.

Good luck !
BB

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I fish both areas and the style of fishing is completely opposite in Albany from Newburgh. They do not seem to want anything to do with bloods/sands anywhere north of Kingston. I have had the best luck anchoring with live herring using a fishfinder rig on the bottom..........I usually try to anchor near a structure such as a bridge pilon or a drop-off in the channel. In general the striper will come up out of the channel on high tide but as the tide is going out they will sit in the channel and wait for the herring to be pulled in.

·
Tyee
193 Posts
Welcome aboard, we fish from Troy down to Catskill from a boat, best advice I can give is FISH!!!, as much as u can. There's a lot of river, a lot of places to prospect, don't get stuck in a rut and camp on a spot because u caught one there b4 or saw someone land one there. I do have my "go to" spots and they do produce but if the fish aren't there they aren't there. Live herring is king but I always run at least one chunk and it's surprising how many times they take the chunk, when bait is scarce I'll flat line a couple bombers and have had good luck. And always remember it's supposed to b fun, if your not having fun, your doing something wrong, oh ya n don't forget to bring the jigging juice🍺🍺,good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fish both areas and the style of fishing is completely opposite in Albany from Newburgh. They do not seem to want anything to do with bloods/sands anywhere north of Kingston. I have had the best luck anchoring with live herring using a fishfinder rig on the bottom..........I usually try to anchor near a structure such as a bridge pilon or a drop-off in the channel. In general the striper will come up out of the channel on high tide but as the tide is going out they will sit in the channel and wait for the herring to be pulled in.
Thank you im def gonna put my time in this year. much appretiated

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not much different to add. Just keep getting the baits in the water. If you have guys who might be interested in fishing, bring them out with you. That gives you more rods in the water (though it might mean you watch someone else catch one!) and helps pass the time, meaning you are more likely to stay put. Its all about time (and luck). Last year was real slow, only one fish and maybe one run, just don't get discouraged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts