Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Official Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, lots of good info here, still looking around too.

My name is Jay, originally from NJ (just outside Philadelphia for reference) now I'm on the MS Gulf Coast working on my masters degree at Southern Miss. Working at Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (GCRL). I started my career just out of college working for NJDEP striped bass program for a year and half, than onto environmental consulting until I decided to go back to school. My research will be looking at striped bass habitat along MS coastal rivers. Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission (GSMFC) wants to see striped bass populations become sustainable again. GCRL has been stocking bass for 35 years but the populations have not improved to sustainable size. So, my research will help fill in some gaps as to why the program hasnt been working.

So, Ill need some advice fishing for them here in the south, much different than northeast fishing, though i am sure similar techniques will work. Have fished a lot near Toms River, NJ (Oyster Creek) as well as the Delaware Bay.

Ill post up in the regional section too.

fish.gif

·
18,706 Posts
Hi Jay welcome. What a cool research project for a thesis. thumbsup.gif
:welcomeaboard: I remember reading about the Mississippi aquaculture Plants after Katrina. They were devastated and the guys were working hard to bring them back. I think some info is here on the site.

·
Official Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah here it is. Search features a good thing. lol

http://stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=3540
thanks. some of the building are still down, but should be getting rebuilt soon (insurance issues mainly, I think). Cedar Point (our aquaculture center) is getting a nice new building too. Though the striped bass are being grown at the DMR site, by us. I am working with them too.

i am well aware of the search button biglaugh.gif, im also a moderator on broncoii.org:cheers: thanks for the welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.