Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been fishing for stripers for about 4 seasons now, i am also new to this site. I fish off staten island from the beaches and piers. Over the last couple of seasons I have noticed that there are less and less bass being caught for reasons i do not know. It seems that the fishing seasons degress year after year with this being the worst spring yet. I hope the members of this forum can help me understand what is happening and why. It could just be me, but I do not think it is. I started cathcing 10lb blues in 50 degree water with no signs of bass. Please post your thoughts.

I would never kill a bass!

· King of Eels
4,227 Posts
I dont know about a lesser number of bass,the last three or four years have been outstanding,everything is a little slow this spring,as it was last year,the worst years in recent history were the mid to early 90's, as you may or may not know,bass like most fish run in cycles,not just in numbers but in the numbers which appear in a given area,local bait,water temp and conditions( changes in the beach or jetty/rock structure) also can influence there whereabouts,age group bass stick together,some schools of fish may find a particular area appealing to their fishy sense of being and return year after year(something I've learned from my own tagging and records over almost 40 years) so when the school gets thinned out you may see a lack of that sized fish until another one replaces it...

For example, in 1980's,we had a group of medium fish 12-15lbs or so that showed up in the plum island river,every fish we caught(the guys that knew) was a carbon copy,the next year same thing and so on,just less of them every year(and they were bigger),some of those fish I tagged with Littoral scociety tags,I re-caught some of my own fish for three years in a row,until the bulk of that class was gone until the late 90's, two seasons ago a bunch of teen sized bass showed there again,they were there last year(but fewer of them) and I suspect if I go there this year at the right time of tide...they will be there again...
So dont despair about the numbers of fish, all indications are that the stocks are healthy,there is a good mix of year classes from tiny two year olds to monster trophy 50lb plus fish,they just may not be in your neighborhood.....

tight lines
Rock

· First Mate
163 Posts
The spawning run in the chesapeake has been incredible, theres more big stripers then I can ever remember...they should be heading north soon, they're spawned out and the recent warm weather should make them leave soon. get your gear ready!!!!! :D

· Registered
430 Posts
The bay here in RI is filling up

The bay here in RI is starting to fill up and I'm now able to head down to the local sweet spot for some almost instant action. I have noticed a big mix of sizes in the schools of fish, anywhere from 10" to 26 "

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.