Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

need some help guys...

Tags
guys
5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Ed White 
#1 ·
The last couple of weeks of fishin for stripers and flounder in what i believe to be the hampton river area...i've caught a few small fish but don't know exactly what they are

I've looked it up online and i think they were cunner....they looked similar to a perch but had beautiful bluish tint on their fins and a mouth full of nasty lookin teeth for the lil buggers...only about 6 inches long

Could someone please let me know if these sound like cunner or something else? Also, would these be good or legal to use as live bait for stripers?

Any info or direction to find out info would be great and much appreciated.

BTW...16 year old son caught the first keeper of the season on sunday morning 6-25...29 inches.......damn kid LOL

#2 ·
yes, that is what they are, nast little baitstealing beasts! th_sm19.gif

I've tried them as bait with out alot of success, but the spinney back may be turning the bass away towards better forage...

If you get some small harbor pollock, put a 6/0-8/0 hook in its snout and liveline itabout 3' under a ballon... big bass may make a snack out of them...

#3 ·
If only one person is going to catch a keeper it should always be the kid!

Cunners. Used to fish for them off the docks when I was a kid. Loved the tourists asking what we were fishing for and then them saying, "****er". Of course we used to sell them live starfish as well. Bet they smelled nice in the back of the car by day's end. Rotten kids we were.

What are you using for bait? Squid?

#4 ·
Thanks Roc...

Gunner...we were fishing with flounder hooks with clam when I caught the cunners....hubby caught 4 flounders the week b4 and was tryin for more...both weekends he and the kids caught 6..17", 16", 3 - 15" and 14" so now he enjoys catching them too

The striper was caught in the rye area incoming tide on tail half of herring

Everytime one of them holds my pole they catch something...LOL

#6 ·
I never heard of cunners before but Bergalls I know and have often used them with great success espically the larger ones 6" or so but even better bait is those flounders although I hate sharing a meal with a striper.They are a bit tricky livelining and it take some getting use to I found a long leader about 60" with a 3oz trail did the trick.I also let a lot of line out give a large scope to the rig again a bit tricky here but I have caught some big fish(at least three 40lb fish over the years) using this method.
RB

#8 ·
Hey JB...from what i'm guessin..i think we can see the trestle area from where we fish..didn't catch any of the lil bastards this past weekend but did catch a 15" flounder at the spot...hubby didn't catch anything there but we went up towards rye area and he caught a 33" bass...damn him always gotta catch more or better than me lol...anyways is the trestle off to the right of the nuclear plant like a long dirt road with about 6 cars single file on it? if so then we can see it...don't dare drive down it tho cause we have a caravan and kids with us usually

BTW..Happy Belated Birthday, JB!!!!! Hope it was a good one

Is it even legal to use flounder as bait for stripers? Never heard of it before...don't think I would try either...kids love to eat the fishies we catch and we always throw back the small ones to teach our kids that you have to abide by the laws ... if we're unsure of the laws about what you can use as bait, size limits, etc. we don't even try...we enjoy our time fishing and it is not worth losing our licenses, gear, money, etc. to do illegal acts

#9 ·
I understand I am new here and you don?t know me so I will not take your responses too personally.
I would never suggest doing anything other than following any and all local and Federal laws.
The post I answered asked if cunners where good bait of which I answer I also added that flounder where in fact a better bait if you wanted to give up a Great meal.
I am a successful Striper fisherman, which is largely due to the way I fish, and bait I use of which I was sharing that with you.
RB

#10 ·
Hey RB it's all good....sorry if i offended you...i wasn't sure if we could use flounder in NH as bait or not so i was just asking if it was legal....didn't mean to imply that you don't obey laws or anything.. I'm fairly new to striper fishing ( only a few years trying now) and appreciate any and all info and tips i can get...thanks for the feedback and once again sorry if i offended you

#11 ·
as an aside
Cunners are bergalls.
There is a Montauk charter Captain that designed
a giant flounder spoon for mass production specifically
for trophy striper. They never really took off
but it looked just like a flounder. Ill see if I cant find
the pic I had of it.
I'm not sure of the size limit in NY but it used to be 11
inches.
Prob 14 now.

#12 ·
my apologies tna Off topic.

Heres a pic of Capt John Marino of eastern sportfishing
charters using the spoon. Its actually supposed to mimic
a fluke and weighs a pound. I thought it was larger but
its 9" x 4.5" and its designer Capt Jimmy George called
it the
The secret spoon

#15 ·
i'm sure i could Joey but with my luck and experience .. chances are slim to none lol i have seen a few taken off shore big like that but to prove how my luck is...my 13 year old son landed a bigger one than me last year and i'm still hearing about it...but i shall be positive and hope and pray every time we go out that i catch the bigger one ...we'll see
maybe if i go by myself i could but being a woman...i'm too scared to go alone...

#16 ·
Hey Guys
First off no offense here as I said you don?t know me and as we all know the use of live bait has definitely been taken advantage of by many fisherman.
Jim you where right about that rubber Steve Petri of Copiague NY invented flounder but that happens to be a friend of mine he held a IGFA bass record for a 78lb bass that he caught a age 15 on a Bunker chunk in the SURF off Gilgo beach NY.That was about 40 years ago.
The rubber Petri Fish was never really a success at catching stripe bass although it was very successful catching stripe bass fisherman. Now Capt Jimmy George?s Secret Spoon is very successful in catching stripe bass and has accounted for many 50lb class fish in the past few years. Capt John Marino is a expert a using this steel device and swears he will beat the current Stripe bass IGFA world record with it?s use.
A quick fishing report here.7/07/06 The Bunker schools have been off Cape May NJ for some time now and the Bass migrating north from Chesapeake Bay has left me with great expectations. This morning I left at Daybreak hoping to find these schools off of Fire Island and was rewarded for my efforts.8 stripers nothing less than 23lbs 2 30lb class fish and the seasons first 40lber.Tomorrow I will be out there again if the weather holds out this could last for a good week.
This weekend will be busy my friends will all start to showing at my house. Everything is right and the Bass are here expectations are high. This has been the best year I have ever experienced stripe bass fishing.
Tight lines
RB

#17 ·
RB,
Thanks for that report, you have my hopes up again, it's July and I was expecting that the bassies were well on their way out of here, due to the fact that I had a pretty good month of May, followed by a really crappy month of June, and now July, and I can't recall the last bass I caught....but the fact that you still have bass and bunker down your way gives me hope yet, I'm up Monmouth County way, hopefully they're swimming up this way.
(I fish from the beach, not boat, the boat guys are still finding fish)

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.