Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get home from work, day light savings time has me depressed, and there is about 90 minutes till sunset. I figure I'll watch the news, eat dinner and then go down to the shop for a while. So I'm standing at the counter and my wife say's, "Go hunting." I say "really?" She say's,"Get out." So I grab my hunting jacket, still in my work clothes and head for the car, with the muzzle loader in hand. So I'm heading for my In-laws place where I am allowed to hunt for the first time this year. The place is loaded with deer and with the blueberry bushes my in laws are planting next year, well you get the picture, the pretty deer are gonna cost lots of money in replanting.
I'm minutes away from the house when my phone rings. It's my wife. She say's "Ed, Al is out at the field in back taking pictures of the deer herd." I know right where he is at. So I park the car at the end of the dirt road that accesses the back of the property and get my jacket on and load the gun. I stalk the road until i get next to a cut in the stone wall. I can see the herd in the field. I get down and sniper crawl on my belly about 50 yards till I get to the opening. I come around the wall behind some bushes and scan the herd with the scope. I pick out a large doe and put the cross hairs on the boiler room. My brother in law is still snapping pictures to my right and spooks the doe and she moves about 15 yards further away out to about 85 yards. Now I got the tail in my face so I scan for another target. I almost settle for a smaller doe when target 1 turns broadside to me again. I aim and squeeze just as she jumps to the brush at the edge of the field. I don't see her drop! I always see them drop! I figure I missed. I NEVER miss! So I reload and head for the last place I saw her. No Deer, No Blood! I'm Pissed! Then I catch movement just ahead of me, I go to ground and watch another doe walking in the trees. I raise the gun, zero in and squeeze. She drops in her tracks. I reload again, and start to walk toward the doe quartering along paralell to her and I see movement to the right of her. Another Deer, what I think is a doe. I zero in, squeeze, and it drops in it's tracks! Yeeee Haaaaaa! Got 2 down. I walk over to the 2 deer and suddenly I'm confused. Why do I have 3 Deer on the ground? The first one I shot at took the round through the liver and cut the spine and somehow managed to get 150 yards before drooping.
All 3 of my muzzleloader tags got filled, in get this, 11 minutes!
All because my wife made me go hunting!

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm Having a hard time posting the pictures, I'll get them up later.
Oh yeah one of them, the third one actually turned out to be a button buck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well done dude:cheers: how many are you allowed to shoot there? Looks like some fine eating, enjoy!!!!thumbsup.gif

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get 3 tags for each method, Bow, Muzzle and Shotgun. If I take all does, I get bonus tags for a 4th deer by that method. If I hunt all the seasons and special hunts I can take up to 18 Deer.
All boiler room for me Dave, except the one when she jumped. They never take another step when the heart turns to jello!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Great shooting and you must have been on your game, a hunt you will always remember, congrats. I like to see you in action on the birds.

·
will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
gunny...all i can say is wow...freakin sweet job. hunts like that dont happen every day..im sure you will never forget that one..thumbsup.gif....and i know you will never forget why you married deb either.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Thats the way to get the meat hunting out of the way!thumbsup.gif

Good wives are hard to come by.... :cheers:

·
in awe of real fisherman
236 Posts
I need a hunting license!

Nice Work Gunny!

·
4,419 Posts
Wow. icn___clap.gif :notworthy:

·
First Mate
767 Posts
So I guess this leaves more time for fishing? LOL... Im thinking we shall be eating like kings at the gathering... Can't wait. Way to go Gunny. And your wife... yup 100% a keeper, but we both knew that already.

Bryan

·
Wishin i was fishin
542 Posts
Man gotta love that, nice work gunny. I wish i could shoot 18 deer in a season.....i can only shoot 1.....i'm done after 20 minutes of hunting this season.

·
HDH
191 Posts
Great Job Gunny! I see where you get the name "GunnySniper!" It fits.... :notworthy: Here in Maryland we are allowed 12 deer each season - bow, muzzleloader and shotgun for a total of 36 deer possible. Allowed 2 bucks but must kill 2 does before second buck can be taken with purchase of a bonus antlered deer stamp. We have an internet or phone check in in which we get a confirmation number to write in on our license tag also for the taxidermist or butcher if you don't do it your self.
Also sounds like you got a Keeper Wife, Hold on to her.......thumbsup.gif

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Butchering party at my place tomorrow. Pics will be posted after.
Thanks for the responses guy's.
Those that have met deb know how fortunate I truly am. She understands me and my meat gathering ways like no one else. She is, when healthy, my fishing partner. She is back to full duty again and next season will be showing some of you how it is done.
Needless to say I am a truly appreciative man.
Hence the title of the post.

·
Grouchy old Bassturd
1,033 Posts
Maybe next year I'll get back at it? (all my Possibles are homemade by me)
Good Job = Short Season?
Now you'll have to play on "The Islands". :cheers:

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm still at with the bow and shotgun season is coming up as well. I will be getting my earn-A-Buck bonus tag next week. So I got one more to hang from the meat pole with the smoke pole soon. He just don't know it yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts