Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOLY HORSEBALLS! I got mixed up with THEE biggest Largemouth Bass I have ever seen in my favorite pond. I took my 2 nephews over there and met my friend Chad for some fishin yesterday. They were mostly throwin' worms, I running buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, and rooster tails. After a few hours of working the pond fast, I realized they werent active enough yet to chase a quick topwater presentation. So I then switched to the Rooster Tails knowing I could either get a bass OR a trout. I ran some smaller Roosters for about 3o minutes with zero hits. Chad had a few hits on the worms, but the fish were just nibblin' and teasin' us. As the sun was starting to get below the tree line, the fish start to jump a bit. At that point, I said F it, I'm going with a Rooster a bit bigger. So I threw on my fave hunter orange and started running right through and over the top of some lilly pad stems in the middle of the pond. After several casts, I didnt get any hits with a slower retrieve, so I decided to not let the Rooster Tail hit bottom. I threw it out, and as soon as it hit the water I began with a quicker retrieve bringing right over the top of the lilly stems that are under the water. BAAABOOOOOM! Granted, this was my FIRST hit of evening LOL. This fish crushed tha thing and put the biggest bow on this particular freshwater setup EVER. I damn near crapped. Since he bowed it so much, and took it down, I only set on him a bit instead of really lacing into him. After 6 or 7 cranks, he surfaced, and both my Nephews and Chad saw it. 5+ pound bass EASY. Chad said it looked like a friggin' beaver coming outta the water LMAO. I reeled a few more cranks while it was surfaced, and the thing threw the treble hook. I WAS PISSED OFF TO NO END!!!!!!!

One word: TYPICAL

I continued to run that particular Rooster Tail over that bed trying to fool him again, and couldnt get it to react. However, I did manage to land a little half-pounder after that. I am still PISSED OFF at that fish. I want nothing more than to get that thing shored and snap a pic of it.

i am taking the rest of the day off, even though I am BURIED with residential and office work, just to go to Wal-Nuts, replenish my Rooster Tail supply, and head right back to get that damn fish. I WILL land it.

Orange rooster tails with a gold willow blade RULE!

Dontcha love it when fish throw treble hooks? Awesome.

·
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went back tanight ta git 'em. N O T H I N G. Fish jumpin' everywhere, and all I got for hours of fishing was a some hits on a Gulp worm I let sit for like 10 minutes. I am going to rename that pond....."Dead Pond". lol. The fish are just not active enough. I threw everything I had except poppers and jigs and husky jerks.

NOTHING!

Will try to hit the stream and the river tomorrow if its nice. I need a break from the pond.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Similar thing happened to me last week...

I was fishin a famous smallie haunt...I'd been fishin with a couple of friends for over 2 hours with absolutely no hits...
...Then BABOOM!!!!...a HUGE smallie took my Root Beer Senko...I reeled it in enough to see it come to the surface, roll, jump then DISAPEAR!!!...
It must have been at least 4 or 5 pounds...litteraly the biggest largie or smallie I've ever seen...

...I felt like hanging myself on the spot... :x

I guess that Fishin'...

·
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I hear ya. In my fave pond, you only have so many chances every season to shore one of the 4 or 5 giant ones in there. I had my chance right off the bat, and blew it.

This fish is now known as "FrankenFish".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fished up in Belgrade lake region with a friend in his bass boat and caught 30 fish to the boat with a few fish lost. I was good to feel a fish in the line again. Jerk bait and crankbaits did the the deed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts