Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Screamin drag makes me horny
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone lend an opinion here?
If a reel is rated for 250/12 mono will it hold 250yds of 12 dia. braid? This is with a reel that is braid ready(no backing)
Any opinions will be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Most 12 lb braids or super lines are in the 4-6lb diameter range compared to mono or flouro. So Id say after you put a good backing of mono on to avoid any slipping you should be able to run atleast 350 yards of 12lb braid on that reel.

·
Registered
226 Posts
ok gotcha...your definitely going to want to have some kind of backing tho. I use mono but my friend just recently started using a couple wraps of teflon tape with good results.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This particular reel doesn't need backing it has a rubber strip inside the spool and is marketed as braid ready

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ooh haha excellent. Havent bought a new reel in 8 years, didnt know there was such a thing. You should be fine, Im guessing if they made the reel like that it is meant for braid anyway. Sorry for the confusion

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha don't worry just tryin to work over the cabin fever from all this freakin snow!!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I too have not seen the reel spool like that, but with lots of guys using braid these days it makes sense. Otherwise, yes you would want some mono backing 1st. Shouldn't have any issues getting that much braid on there either.

BB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts