Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Striper Hunter
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we decided to do a few things different today and we absolutely crushed 4 of the biggest stripers we have caught in years. We ran out of bait and could not jig any more up. Two were 37" and the other two were pushing 40". The ones that were hard to lift up and hold for pictures. You won't believe it but all stripers caught in less than 10 feet of water. I will post some pictures and you will not believe the size of the belly's on these pigs. Some of you guys that have helped me out over the years, I will be more than glad to give that spot up since I may be done for the season. We were drifting with circle hooks and we had the reels locked up tight and let the fish pound it and hook themselves. The rod holders completely outfished me for sure. Water temp was 56 degrees. I wish we had a scale for one of them because we both freaked out when she made her appearance--took a long time to get her in. I stink at striper fishing so this will probably the 1st and only time I get to brag.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is one productive day! Funny you mention how you were sticking them immediately with the circle hooks because the biggest striper I caught this year hit before I could turn the clicker on and it hooked itself right in the corner of the mouth with a 7/0 gammy circle.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Well we decided to do a few things different today and we absolutely crushed 4 of the biggest stripers we have caught in years. We ran out of bait and could not jig any more up. Two were 37" and the other two were pushing 40". The ones that were hard to lift up and hold for pictures. You won't believe it but all stripers caught in less than 10 feet of water. I will post some pictures and you will not believe the size of the belly's on these pigs. Some of you guys that have helped me out over the years, I will be more than glad to give that spot up since I may be done for the season. We were drifting with circle hooks and we had the reels locked up tight and let the fish pound it and hook themselves. The rod holders completely outfished me for sure. Water temp was 56 degrees. I wish we had a scale for one of them because we both freaked out when she made her appearance--took a long time to get her in. I stink at striper fishing so this will probably the 1st and only time I get to brag.
not lookin for your spot but what general vicinity .... come on ..tell me troy ... please :walamatBanana:

·
Lunker
128 Posts
What time were you fishing ??? Fished today in Troy from 10:30 to 5:00.......Windy ...rough as hell.......My score ....2 catfish no runs,no hits, lots of errors. Tried live, chunk,anchored, drifted. NADA Blumaxx :einstein: :einstein:

·
First Mate @ Ace Charters
762 Posts
Nice !!! Was thinking about hitting the afternoon outgoing tide today, but with the wind , I decided against it. Hitting the river 6am tomorrow (will have "ice fishing") on. Channel 6 says gonna be 30 degrees :shocked:.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Way to go on some big stripersthumbsup.gif Congrats on a great day. I was on the river from 3 til 7 out of HH and just couldn't find the striper bite today but got plenty of bait in Albany. Sounds like I should have maybe looked shallower based on the day you had and I'll keep that in mind for Thursday afternoon. I ended up with only two runs, catching one small striper maybe 24" which I tossed back!! Marking lots of stripers in certain parts of the channel I like to fish but they just never turned on for me at any point during the outgoing. Very few boats out and not too bad weatherwise other than the wind which kept me on my toes trying to keep the speed right. With all the fish I was marking I think it will really turn on again soon once the weather stabilizes. Water temp was 58 near Albany to 59 down Castelton way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.