Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other saltwater fish oils, like sardine and anchovy, attract freshwater stripers---but I never hear mentioned Menhaden oil, the 'go to' attractant for East Coast stripers. Anyone heard anything on the subject?

·
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
1,148 Posts
I personally won't use Menhaden oil. I won't even use baits infused with oil. There are plenty of synthetic attractants out there. Menhaden are being hammered for many reasons. Omega3 oil, vitamins, fertilizer, spray paint, etc. etc. The Menhaden is extremely important to ocean ecology and all the products they are useful for is increasing the pressure on them. If it were me I would utilize gulp or something to that effect. :10187: Gulp works great by the way

·
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
1,148 Posts
No worries. There is an entire book about how the menhaden is the most important fish on the Atlantic Coast, called

"The Most Important Fish in the Sea" H.Bruce Franklin.

I would try the gulp stuff though. I have had some success with it for Atlantic Bass maybe you will experience the same thing in fresh Water.

·
18,706 Posts
Good point. It stinks like hell if you spill it. I ruined a nice camera with slime from a live bunker. Never worked properly again.

Some use it . They infuse plugs with it. Or soak rags in it and drop em down.
Its a mess and a bother if you ask me. I carry the smelly jelly with me and use it on occassion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.