Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LunkerSpunker
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear everywhere on this board and other places that you should match the hatch when fishing lures, and that is my question. I live in CT and the bait along the shore right now is bunker/pogies/menhaden. I also use eels alot. Now when I'm buying lures/plugs and they offer a bunker pattern, is that the one I should get? If this is the case all the plugs in my bag should be bunker and/or eel patterned, does this make sense to anyone? Is saying match the hatch referring only to relative size and behavior of the bait that is out there and not as much about the color? What would the benefits of trying colors other than the natural color of bait be? Now my plug bag is definately mixed, I use darker colors/black at night and brighter whites and blues during the day, this question just kind of dawned on me while thinking of "match the hatch" and browsing BPS catalog recently, what are your guys' thoughts?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
try and see what the prevalent small fry baitfish look like in the wash. if possible get a hold of a couple and match them up with a teaser on your lure presentation. ie: sand eels/spearing/rainfish(anchovies). the majority of fish take the teaser as it is a competition thing or just that it;s what they are feeding on. try this method and use a plug/lure + teaser that is color friendly for light and water clarity conditions.

·
Banned
758 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it all that much. Worry about light and dark plugs carry both, worry about the size you might want something smaller than the bait at times or larger if the bass are being lazy. Fishing CT can be tough but if you have a spot that is holding bait and bass you just have to wait for the right tide and weather and the color of your lures will not matter so much.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
I have a totaly different theory, I rarely match the hatch, I prefer to give them something different, something that might get their attention, something special....

here is my example.... you eat a nice dinner at your favorite eatery, your full ( so you think) there is still some of your dinner on the plate but you let the waiter remove the plate... then the desert menue comes out.... you cant resist, you just have to order that double fudge brownie with ice cream and carmel sauce.... IMHO bass are no different, they may be feeding on peanuts but a slitthering eel or spike mackerel is just too good to turn down..... it may not work everytime... but it works more often than not.

·
LunkerSpunker
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok awesome advice guys, thanks! I have noticed that I get more fish on bigger plugs...perhaps they are noticed more? I use dark colors like blacks and purples at night and lighter during the day, but I'm new to this and everytime I see stuff at store, etc, I always try to remember what the masters on this board have to say. I appreciate the advice. Now I just have to figure out how to get a double fudge brownie with ice cream and carmel sauce to stay on the hook!

·
4,419 Posts
I have a totaly different theory, I rarely match the hatch, I prefer to give them something different, something that might get their attention, something special.
I want you to know you have totally ruined my fishing. Its like when EF hutton talks. :redbiggrin:

·
First Mate
864 Posts
speaking of color, I have heard of a lot of guys using green, and yellow at night. Has any one else used light color at night?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
show off! just kiddin" but under a moon the light reflects off the bottom up and onto the subject and what gives me my selections are what i think i would see if i were looking up at the surface from beneath. (of course having good action on a plug helps considerably) yours being on par with that. every time i see your pic i think of your DOOR story and are glad you didn't drown you cranky bastage! wish you were coming down for the thanksgiving holiday. hopefully will get to fish with joe jr in november.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts