Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Male Striper ????

Tags
male striper
4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
I was told that male stripers don't often grow very large.Was wondering if there is any truth to this??I recently caught a male striper that was 31.5" and 13-15.lbs and was told that it was large for a male.Sounded weird to me so i figured I'd ask here.Here's a pic.

#5 ·
male vs female striper

Camel: Here is data from the late 50's on female vs. males.
As you can see very few males over the age of 8 were
identified through scale rings from the Chesapeake.
Im pretty sure that this is still widely accepted among
biologists.

#12 ·
Not sure there is a tried and true method without killing the striper for distinguishing males from females, especially for stripers that haven't spawned yet. For fish over 30 inches (fish that have spawned) you can check the gerth of the abdomen. Those with a large triangular shaped girth would probably be females.

Jim, are you sure that you can distinguish males from females using scales and otiliths (bone from inner-ear)? I know you can determine their age from counting the annual rings, but sex????

I'm pretty sure stripers do not go through a sex change. Studies have been done where eggs have been fertilizeds at different temperatures showing that above a certain temperature the resulting fry will all be male. Also studies have shown that feeding females certain hormones can turn them into males.

Black sea bass change sex but stripers????

#13 ·
Tony said:
Jim, are you sure that you can distinguish males from females using scales and otiliths (bone from inner-ear)? I know you can determine their age from counting the annual rings, but sex????
How they sexed the fish isnt specifically mentioned here Tony but the resulting age data was derived from the annular rings.
I suppose it would have taken mitochondrial Dna analysis to determine sex which wasnt available when Mansuetti puplished his findings. How the sex was determined isnt clear. Length and weight were measurments. Sexing?
To answer the question. No Im not sure. cool_blue.gif

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.