Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to find good info out there, so I have high hopes for this forum!
So I have access to a nice fishing boat and I'm here in Maine on Mt. Desert Island near Tremont... please tell me there are Stripers and possibly Blues biting this time of year!... July 12. Mackeral are fun for a minute or two, but I'd like to catch some real fish! I'm new to the area and only have 10 days to catch at least 1 nice fish to be happy, so any help would be much appreciated!

Questions for ya'll:

1. Are they here in July?
2. Where & how deep do the striper like to hang out? Along the shore? Near rocks, seaweed??
3. Can I find them in coves or along rocky points, beaches, cliffs?? The place I'm staying is in a big cove near Tremont. Would be great to know if there are stripers lurking around my dock!
4. Can I use the mackeral I catch as bait for the striper? What's the best way to rig them? Weighted, no weight, leader size, size hook, stinger, no stinger, trolling them, flatlining, downlining??
5. What's the best artificial bait to use? Spoons? Rubber eels? Topwaters?
6. Are there any other fish that are easy enough to find/ catch out here besides Mackeral? Where, how? Are there any flounder up here?

THANKS! Maybe all these questions will help others also.

·
Young salt
1,396 Posts
It's hard to find good info out there, so I have high hopes for this forum!
So I have access to a nice fishing boat and I'm here in Maine on Mt. Desert Island near Tremont... please tell me there are Stripers and possibly Blues biting this time of year!... July 12. Mackeral are fun for a minute or two, but I'd like to catch some real fish! I'm new to the area and only have 10 days to catch at least 1 nice fish to be happy, so any help would be much appreciated!

Questions for ya'll:

1. Are they here in July?

2. Where & how deep do the striper like to hang out? Along the shore? Near rocks, seaweed??

3. Can I find them in coves or along rocky points, beaches, cliffs?? The place I'm staying is in a big cove near Tremont. Would be great to know if there are stripers lurking around my dock!

4. Can I use the mackeral I catch as bait for the striper? What's the best way to rig them? Weighted, no weight, leader size, size hook, stinger, no stinger, trolling them, flatlining, downlining??

5. What's the best artificial bait to use? Spoons? Rubber eels? Topwaters?

6. Are there any other fish that are easy enough to find/ catch out here besides Mackeral? Where, how? Are there any flounder up here?

THANKS! Maybe all these questions will help others also.
1) Yes, there are definitely fish in the water by July 12th

2) The answer to this question is yes, you can find stripers in ALL of the above conditions.

3) Once again a resounding yes, look for birds diving, as they are a prime indication of something going on below the surface. There is a good chance that if they're slurping up bait there are stripers or blues in/around the area doing the same

4) Live mackerel are an excellent way to catch LARGE stripers and/or blue fish. Jig a few up using a Sabiki rig and then live line them and/or troll with them very slowly. A lot of guys use a dual-hook set up when trolling with live macks but u can get away with 1. I'd keep it simple as possible, attach your main line to your leader using an Albright knot, 18" of 50 lb fluorocarbon leader material and no less than a 6/0-7/0 "J" hook. Hook him in the back behind the dorsal fin under the backbone and let out 40-50 yarsd of line. Ya don't wanna go to fast though as you want your bait to swim/llok as natural as possible.....going too fast will cause it to twist and tun in the water.

5) There are far too many to list but you wanna have a good assortment, pencil poppers/needlefish, rubber/plastic swim shads, sluggo's, red/white laughing bucktails and Kastmasters are a good start.

6) Not too sure about other species of fish as I don't target them, but I'm sure you can find cod, flounder, haddock, pollock etc.......but I'm not 100% sure on that

Hope some of this helps ya get into fish my friend. I live in Old Orchard which is about 3 hours south of where you'll be staying and we have been catching them pretty regularly off the beach so ya should get into fish.

StriperHyper ~ Will

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.