Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please post the basics on working each type of lure (surface, swimming, diving, bottom, Etc). Also, if anyone lives in New York, particularly near Jamaica Bay, what lures are working well?

EBMJF

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
There are four plugs I classify as surface:
1- Pencil popper, I cast this one out and with the action of the rod, I'll bounce the plug in, on the surface. A daybreak/sundown plug for me.
2- Spook, with this plug the rod give the plug action as well. Some do the, "walk the dog' retrieve, a side to side twitch of the rod, which changes the direction of the plug on the surface. But I'll bounce one like a popper as well.
3. Popper, this is casted, and on the retrieve, the rod tip is lifted with every two cranks of the reel handle,causing the plug to "pop" the water in front of it.
Effective in the daylight hours.
4. Swimmers, I use these at night, and along with Darters are my best night producers. I cast the plug, and retrieve slowly, twitch the rod tip, stop, and start the process over. If fish are about, on the stop, hang on.thumbsup.gif
I like darters in faster water, and out flows
5. Bottle plugs, or casting swimmers, I'll cast into the surf, and I keep a taught line on the downside of a roller, you want to feel the plug at all times.
I use these at night as well, with very good results.
6. Needles, I cast the babies out into the surf, and a do a very slow retrieve, stopping and twitching along the way. I use these at night
7. Bucktails, I like 'em dressed with a pork trailer, I'll cast 'em out and bounce off the bottom on the way in. A #1 lure at anytime
8. Tin squids, My metal lure of choice. Some like Krocodiles, some Kastmaster and Hopkins. I like the tin squids.

My swimmers vary from Danny surface swimmers( the fourth surface plug), which I use in dead water, but have nailed bass with them in rips:smile:.
I like Atom 40 types, and Redfin plastics. There are surfster type swimmers, which require a slow retrieve as well.
Get a few, put your time in, and you'll know when your doing it right.
Hey, I try different retrieve speed and lures all of the time.
BTW, my favorite, go to plug is the darter.
Good luck, my friendthumbsup.gif

·
4,419 Posts
and I keep a taught line on the downside of a roller
Great post jim :4923:

Just to add on the tins. 2 0z. Deadly dick or krokodile
Long cast and swim this lure along the surface or top 5 feet of the water column. Excellent scouting lure. The deadly dick can fish the surface down to deep depths.

The pencil is great over shallower water near deep and can call the fish from a distance. Use it as a search lure as well.

The bomber type swimmers good at night just below the surface.

Use the darter in heavy rips and big tidal areas along shore as well as inlets and outflows. Best at night, fished very slow, barely moving. Outgoing tide.
Always try to stay in contact with your plug and fish slowly and vary the retrieves. Let the current impart action to your plug.

Twitch the plugs with a downward movement of your rod tip.
With poppers make a racket and even let them sit for a 4 count or longer.

·
Official Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made a stop at the tackle shop today. Despite limited funds, I was able to get a few lures to start with. I also took some time to organize my soft plastics. I will proceed to capture "the big one" this weekend.

EBMJF

·
(formerly brian21johansen)
975 Posts
I try to stay away from using a snap/swivel as much as I can. I always use a flurocarbon leader....even at night while fishing in dirty water. I connect the flurocarbon to my main line using a blood knot or albright knot. From there I'll just tie straight to my plug, when I want to switch plugs I just cut the line and retie. I used to have a problem with switching lures every 5 casts and this prevents me from doing so. Also, a lot of people talk about Stripers being "line shy". Weather they are line shy or not, I don't take any chances and always use a flurocarbon leader tied straight to the plug.

·
I had a BLAST!
2,429 Posts
I tie a 3'-4' flourocarbon or mono leader, usually 40# -60# test, with a swivel, (150# test or better) to my main line. I connect the plug with a loop knot.
There is prolly a video on the site for that knot. It works for me!thumbsup.gif

·
Official Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are those top water plugs hanging from a crimped wire leader?

Your link doesn't work, by the way....
Yes they are. The area I was at is notorious for bluefish, so I like to use wire. It is hard for me to picture a bluefish eating that pencil popper all the way down to the line though .
You're right, I moved the page to this new URL: http://www.mfaccenda.com/fishing.html

EBMJF

1 - 12 of 12 Posts