Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!!
I have a 1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 with a 7.4l Merc. The problem is this. One day everything was fine doing 29-30 knots 4000 rpms. Next day 17-20 mph and could not even hit 3500 rpms. Changed plugs ,wires, fuel filter, coil. got to 20 mph and i could reach redline on the rpms which is 4400 and could go beyond but still speed slow.noticed that I am losing gear oil. I am losing it only when I am moving at a decent speed, Unfortunately I am not to intelligent about marine drive units and I am wondering where I should look or should I just get it taken out of the water and looked at. Not rich either so I would rather avoid having it pulled out but if it has to happen ... Any help would be awesome
Thanks

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Hello all!!!
I have a 1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 with a 7.4l Merc. The problem is this. One day everything was fine doing 29-30 knots 4000 rpms. Next day 17-20 mph and could not even hit 3500 rpms. Changed plugs ,wires, fuel filter, coil. got to 20 mph and i could reach redline on the rpms which is 4400 and could go beyond but still speed slow.noticed that I am losing gear oil. I am losing it only when I am moving at a decent speed, Unfortunately I am not to intelligent about marine drive units and I am wondering where I should look or should I just get it taken out of the water and looked at. Not rich either so I would rather avoid having it pulled out but if it has to happen ... Any help would be awesome
Thanks
whole bunch of things here just dont add up.... 30 Knots @ 4000 RPM is pretty darn good..... then you state MPH as a speed source.... is this GPS speed or speedometer ( which are rarely accurate).... How do you know you are loosing gear oil? ... especialy at a high rate of speed.. how are you seeing it?... something in this discription is missing... if you are indeed loosing gear oil, you wont be driving the boat for long, as the gears and bearings will be shot in no time.... aside from all the gear oil talk..I'd be looking at a spun hub on your prop..

I'd like to help but 3+3 are coming out to 2..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.