Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided recently that I would like to spend my life fishing for stripers, while also hoping to make a living doing so. While I don't have the means right now to put everything completely in motion. I am passionate enough about this and believe that I have enough drive to make it happen sooner before later. I have contacted every guide in my area asking for a chance to come on trips with any of them and hope to learn as much as I can on those trips. I am younger than most people that do this (25), but I am working on drafting up the business plan, and hope to put everything in motion soon. I guess I am writing to ask if any guides here can give me any advice, on how tough it is to get your name out there in the beginning, or how long will business and income be low? Also I probably researched 10 guides in my area, and every single one of them charges the exact same price for there services $400 for 1-4 people and 50$ extra for every person up to 6. The other question I have is why does no one in this business try and undercut on price, is there like a unwritten rule that you don't compete price wise with your fellow fisherman, or is there something else im missing?

Thank you for any and all help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it’s amazing that you wanna follow your passion. I would like to speak particularly to the point of under cutting the price. I believe you were on the right track asking the people who have been doing it for advice. I suggest as an alternative way to view things, that you look at it as why would you want to undercut the price. You’re providing a service and so are they. You should take pride in your service and be able to see the value in it yourself. If experienced captains are garnishing that fee for their services in your area, then in my opinion it is absolutely the worst thing you could probably do for your own future in the industry. Anyone can enter a market of any kind and undercut price. That is a fact. As I am a sales and marketing professional, and a lover a fish anyone can enter a market of any kind and undercut price. That is a fact. you may even achieve some early bookings that you can say are directly because of that. I have to believe that is a short term plan and philosophy. I am not a charter captain but have dreams of being an onshore guide in my latter years. I am a sales and marketing professional full-time as my career and it’s from that point that I offer my opinion. Ultimately if you lean on the experienced angler/captains around you that is the best resource

·
Registered
44 Posts
How you really have to look at undercutting the price, is that eventually you won't make any money to survive in your guiding service. You cut, then they cut you, back in forth till no one can survive. Then you become an outcast to the rest of the guide's. You look at a business to make money to support you and the business.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.