Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
swabbie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a couple of gallons of Menhadden oil and was looking for a few tips on using it to catch stripers from a boat. I figure that when I'm chunking and pitching my mackeral chips off the stern I'll soak them in the oil first and then dump a little oil off the back too while I'm at it to create a chum slick. I was also planning on soaking a small piece of an old sponge in some and then putting it on my tub'n worm and other artificials to generate a friendly smell. If anyone has past experience they want to share it would be appreciated (and put to good use this weekend). Thanks!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
chumming 101
i used it off the surf some years back and it drifted and worked wonderfully (for the guy down the beach from me) since have made adjustments in the way of chumming water.
from the boat however,
if you pour it straight out of the container into the water you create a surface chum slick (for someone else) same with chunk baits if you toss them over the side or sporadically chucking it over. this is good only if you position yourself in the slick via the current. take a paper bag, get a 8-10oz sinker on the end of your line and place into the bag, fill bag with chopped bait and even pour some bunker oil in. tie the top of the bag at the top with line or string and let it sink to the bottom. as the bag gets wet it will be very pliable and want to fall apart. one good yank on the rod and all your chum is laying on the bottom under the boat. no chum bait buckets/sponges/ you don;t litter/ and bring destroyed bag up to discard remains and re-rig for the chum is where you are anchored or drifting along with whats on bottom. and not drifting with the current to someone elses location. ideally you could do this in succession in the drift and come back to the same start point and drift back again. works good for flounder in the raritan.

·
1,559 Posts
Get yourself one of those small mesh draw string laundry bags.
In a 5 gallon pail mix the bunker oil with oatmeal until it turns to mush, somewhat firm. let soak until it all soaks in, about 2 or 3 hours. Take some 1 gallon ziplock bags, fill, and freeze the mixture. When you get to your chosen location put the frozen contents of 1 bag in the mesh bag. Tie it to a rope. Add enough weight to the bag to keep it at the desired depth. As the mixture thaws it releases a very nice chum slick.
If you are going to anchor. Place a weight into the mixture before freezing. I like to use ols sash weights I stockpiled when I did replacement windows.
O also use 2 gallon ziplocks for this method. Drop the frozen chum bomb about 100 feet up current from your anchor point. As you sit at anchor drop cut chum from the boat to augment the scent slick

·
Registered
7 Posts
These options have worked for me while anchored and bellying.
1) Mix some with water and freeze blocks of it (I think it is a concentrate). You can hang it off the side in a pot and it will dissolve into the water making an oil slick wherever it is in the water column.
2) Pour some in to a medical bag (like an IV bag) with surgical tubing attached and let it drip out. Using a valve at the end will control the flow.
Stripers seem to want to know where the bait/smell is coming from.
If anyone has any suggestions on this, please let me know.
Hope this helps.

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
Tampx..... soak the tampax in the oil, attach the oil soaked tampax to a suitable sinker and drop it under the boat.... it will release oil for hours....

Get a coffe can and mix a concoction of dry dog food,rolled oats,bunker oil and beach sand to a thick paste, drop spoon fulls over the side, you will have a slick covering the entire water collum.

·
swabbie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to thank everyone for their ideas. I haven't had a chance to implement all of them yet. This is mostly because I live with my girlfriend and making chum won't fly. However, she is a nurse practitioner so she's gonna get me an IV drip to hang over the boat.

I have been using the oil as best I can and it resulted in a couple of keepers for my boat that have, until using the oil, proved very elusive for me. In one case I was fishing with jon006 (met him on this forum) and a couple bass swam right up under the boat to sniff the oil in the water. It was really cool to see even if they were too smart to slam my mackeral chunk hanging in the water. We ened up pulling in one keeper that day. Yesterday I got a keeper on some mackeral I had soaked in the oil and raised to the boat using a manual drip process. I'm working on convincing my friends to make the chum.

·
Banned
758 Posts
I want to thank everyone for their ideas. I haven't had a chance to implement all of them yet. This is mostly because I live with my girlfriend and making chum won't fly. However, she is a nurse practitioner so she's gonna get me an IV drip to hang over the boat.

I have been using the oil as best I can and it resulted in a couple of keepers for my boat that have, until using the oil, proved very elusive for me. In one case I was fishing with jon006 (met him on this forum) and a couple bass swam right up under the boat to sniff the oil in the water. It was really cool to see even if they were too smart to slam my mackeral chunk hanging in the water. We ened up pulling in one keeper that day. Yesterday I got a keeper on some mackeral I had soaked in the oil and raised to the boat using a manual drip process. I'm working on convincing my friends to make the chum.
Yes, the stuff works well. Pulled fish off the bottom on an otherwise slow day. By the way, I have no problem with making the chum if It gains me an opportunity to fish on the boat again;) Nice thing is the girl won't care if I do it when she is not home.

·
swabbie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, the stuff works well. Pulled fish off the bottom on an otherwise slow day. By the way, I have no problem with making the chum if It gains me an opportunity to fish on the boat again;) Nice thing is the girl won't care if I do it when she is not home.
LOL! You know I can't so know to a guy holding a bag of chum :cheers:

·
Banned
758 Posts
Im not sure I follow, but I do like beer and chum!!!

·
Banned
758 Posts
"When in doubt blame the computer" A buddy of mine was telling me that they were getting some shorts around the islands yesterday morning on tubes, they did not chum at all. If your planning on going out in the next couple of weekends, let me know a head of time and I will meet up with you and get the stuff to make some good chum ahead of time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.