Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets talk pliers

Here's my personal rant on the new high end $200 pliers we're now told we need, VS, Accurate, Donmar........................

What good are these titanium alloy, high tech James Bond pliers that won't cut a hook? The main reason I carry pliers is safety. It you're perched on a rock down in front of a jetty or out at M with a blue on the rear treble and your hand or leg stuck on the front treble these fancy pants braid cutting pliers aren't going to have a whole lot of value if they can't separate you from the bluefish.

I have a pair of 40+/- year old stainless hook cutting Sargents that belonged to my grandfather that I've abused over the years and still look great. I'll put em up against any $250 pliers you can buy today.

For sentimental reasons I had wanted to retire them for a long time but until 3 years ago I couldn't find another pair that I liked nearly as much. Then, as a spur of the moment purchase at Sports Authority, I picked up a pair of Shimano Offshore pliers for $25. The Sargents are now in a place of honor on a shelf.
I have beaten and abused the Shimanos since I got them. I never oil em, the belt pouch they're in is always wet....... I just took the pouch and pliers off the belt for the first time, the pouch was white with salt - figured it's time to splurge and give it a wash and the pliers their first oiling.
Although they're not made for it they're acceptable for cutting hooks. They used to cut braid but I had to help a guy who was having a bit of an issue with a bluefish and 4/0 trebles - they'll still cut hooks but aren't so good for braid anymore not that I care.
For cutting braid I have a few pairs of $1.50 Fiskars kiddie safety scissors, I've yet to see something that works better than these and for the price you can pop em in a small ziplock bag and have a pair in the pocket of your waders, in your plug bag, in your drytop pocket .......

Bottom line - If they won't cut hooks, what good are the pliers?

·
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers
4,759 Posts
I agree. $200 for pliers is for people like Rick Green. They can afford it, and just like to have the most expensive thing, and so they can be seen with it and/or say they have it. I mean, if it costs the most, it must be the best right? HAHA

I use Gerber stuff exclusively. I switched over to Gerber about 12 years ago when I saw a fishing buddy take his gerber blade and swipe some 4" diameter rope like it was butter. Just swiped the stuff twice and it was through. No cutting or sawing motion, just a swipe. I'll spend 50 or 60 bux for Gerber plier setup, but not 200 lol. Plus I used get a new Gerber setup every year from my nephew when he was in the Air Force. Cant beat that icon_thumleft.gif

·
King of Eels
4,227 Posts
LOL... I have a pair of those old seargents, dam good pliars!... I keep a pair of linesmans pliars with me at all times, their biggest drawback is you MUST keep them well oiled.. but man can they cut hooks, they cut 9/0's like butter... not great on braid though, but I keep a pair of rappala cutters for that...

I learned the value of good cutting pliars manny... many moons ago... my first 40lb striper was caught on a ggo-goo eye equiped with 3 sets of 4/0 trebels, long story short, the fish I thought was sleeping woke up and sank all three sets into my palm and forearm... thank got for good cutting pliars! My right forearm,palm and wrist still bear the scars of my ignorance over 25 years ago.....

·
4,419 Posts
No matter what I buy will eventually be left at the beach or fall through a rock jetty and forever unretrievable. Its 9.99 stanleys for me. Fiskers, camo skinning knife, and a few long handled needlenose.
And of of course, theres always Joe let me see your pliers. th_icon_loll.gif

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I really like these, cuz im alsways dropping my pliers in the water.

Floating Pliers

Out of curiousity - what's your plan for dealing with the possibility of pulling a Roc move ?? I can't imagine that plastic pliers are going to be much help.

·
4,419 Posts
777 said:
I can't imagine that plastic pliers are going to be much help.
Not for assisting in emergency surgery they wont be. Ouch!!! tongue2.gif
Maybe some lidocaine and a scalpel. and a bottle of Tequila smoke2.gif

·
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Striper777,
I just realized that I must have hit the edit button and added my comments into the middle of your post on the plastic pliers -
"Out of curiousity - what's your plan for dealing with the possibility of pulling a Roc move ?? I can't imagine that plastic pliers are going to be much help."

Sorry to have created any confusion, that was my comment, not Stripers - I meant to hit the Quote button.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know about pliers, but we use finger nail cutters for braid cause they're cheap. Like you guys said, it says on the beach some nights. I did have a blue sink trebles into my casting finger one year. I tried to pick up the fish by the lure. What a stupid bass-tard I am. Does any one use hook outs?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
yeah, i guess i never really thought i would need pliers in like a n emergency stiuation. because i dont really fish jetti's and stuff, the only reason i like them so much is cuz i lose to manypliers cuz im clumsy, and i dont have much money, so its nice when they float and i can just paddle over and retrieve them.

·
4,419 Posts
I thought you just burned the line with a cigarette Steve. th_icon_loll.gif

·
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers
4,759 Posts
striperjim said:
I thought you just burned the line witha cigarette Steve. th_icon_loll.gif
th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif th_icon_loll.gif

Eithah that or he rips one'ah them there Yong fahts and melts tha line :lol:

·
4,419 Posts
Waterproof Pliers

Does any body have any ideas on water proofing pliers other than Van Staal's $289 titanium pliers? I think Orvis makes an aluminum saltwater plier thats corrosion resistent??

·
First Mate
864 Posts
Re: Waterproof Pliers

I got a pair of Browning's that have held up pretty well. I rinse'em occasionally, and WD40 them. A lot cheaper than VS

·
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

If you can find one, the old, long discontinued Sargents are the best pliers ever made. I still have a pair that belonged to my grandfather (who passed in 1979). Meltons came up with some and had em in their catalog not too long ago.

For sentimental reasons I've retired my Sargents, now I have a pair of Shimano Bluewater pliers that I've absolutely abused for the past 4 years. I finally oiled them for the first time a few weeks ago after they developed a little bit of corrosion on the hinge.
They live in their holster on my surf belt and are always wet with saltwater. The only time they get rinsed is when I'm fishing in the rain.
$35 +/-

Most important thing to consider when buying pliers is can they or can't they cut a hook. When you or a friend have a bluefish thrashing on the back set of trebles and the front hook is in your hand to the bone those pansy $300 titanium pliers that are so good at cutting braid are absolutely worthless and your $35 Shimano's are worth their weight in solid gold.

Tool Gesture Blade Font Aviation

·
4,419 Posts

Thanks Suds. That should be in their commercial.

·
4,419 Posts
Re: Lets talk pliers

I thought Id bump the thread again as I recently railed about rusted pliers and finding non corrosives. Both threads have been merged.

·
First Mate
347 Posts
Profish has two models. The blue handled ones came out first. Then they introduced the black handled model last year with the side-cutter design.

Also, the original titanium powdered looking finish is now chromed so there's no rust. Corrosion hits eventually so treat it with Reel Saver lube (not WD-40 - that opens the door to rust).

www.profishco.com
That is good information to know about the changes to the pliers. I have the original blueone that I don't use, because I find it difficult to cut with that small cutter edge. A side cutter is a better option on a plier. Channel lock gets my pick :sydan: with the needle nose that has a long cutting edge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts