Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all have our favs, and ask 10 diff guys what they are using and you may get 10 diff answers.

I'm just curious what mono you guys are using ?
(I know some use braid but just want to hear about mono) thanks. icon_wink.gif

I have only tried a couple different brands over the years ...

Gama - Don't know many guys using it, it was my "go to" for years. I'd have to say one of the strongest lines I have ever used, but the memory in the line is bad. Not a lot of stretch either (which I like).

Trilene Big Game - Def a popular one among Striper guys on the river. Good strength but I t seemed to have a lot of stretch ? Maybe it is just me.
Memory not to bad.

I'm thinking about giving Suffix a try this year, my buddy really likes it (and I use their smaller test during non-striper fishing) ... It's very smooth and strong. Not sure about the stretch factor in the heavier stuff ?

I usually spool up with 25lb or 30lb ... Oh, and I'm a Boating fisherman only, so not concerned with long distance casting.

Lets hear what you're running.
:icon_thumright:

BB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cortland camo, like the color & it holds up well. have to buy it right from Cortland & they offer filler spools & 3000 yard spools. Don't use mono often, but use the Cortland when I do.

·
Master Trophy Hunter
241 Posts
Some years I use mono for striper season because I like the stretch. When I do one of my favorites is Ande.

·
Veteran Striper Chaser
222 Posts
I like Ande 20lb off the beach(on the bottom with bait)
I have used Strenn 12lb plugging small spring fish&20lb for eels and big plugs

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love using Trilene Big Game! In the 15 to 20 pound test! It does have some stretch, but that's OK because I use cut bait a lot! Mackerel, Herring etc... I find it's more forgiving than braid!

·
Registered
120 Posts
20# big game. Experimented with braid but for whatever reason it seemed to drive the herring to swim themselves into their version of a palomar knot and I spent more time cutting and retying than I did fishing

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use trilene 20 big game for my "guests" and trilene 17 XL for myself which allows a good compromise for casting, baiting and live lining.

·
absolute trophy hunter
198 Posts
my favorite all around is 20lb ande pink line. Seems to have less memory and handles very smooth without compromising strength. I also favor trilene big game and suffix seige. Best bang for the buck would be cajun redline. It has more memory but seems to have the thinnest feeling diameter and is best imo for abrasion resistance. Everytime I'm stuck and gotta break off by far I have the hardest time breakin redline. Stuffs almost put me on my ass a few times lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been using braided the last couple years, I feel it works better for ocean surf casting then in the hudson. So on that note Im switching to mono this year. Anyone use spiderwire ? Ive heard mixed things about it.

·
Have you tried tripping tourists with your mono?
14 Posts
I've used 12pd spider wire and you can't tie any simple knots (clinch) with it, without having it breaking. So much trouble getting it to not break on the spool, but I have not used their thicker lines.

For bait, live bait fishing I've heard that 20 ande high-viz line is good.

I know for a fact that suffix siege 14 line is a very reliable mono, it looks rectangular rather than round but it works wonders for fluke, snapper, large porgies, striped bass, and other fish. it's so good i use it as a long leader line.

I'd tell you how it casts but besides tying very good knots with it, i actually haven't gotten to spool a reel with it and do a full cast.

Either way, ande and suffix siege I've heard and experienced good things with.happy3.gif

1 - 20 of 30 Posts