Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi link. Welcome. Is this the knot your referring to?

The Hangmans noose

Instruction from Predatec lures an Aussie fishing lure mfg.

PS the instructions say to lubricate with saliva before tightening the knots.
Keep in mind saliva is a digestive enzyme and it stands to reason that it would begin to
digest your line as well.

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I use a uni to uni all the time instead of a swivel unless I need to reduce the line twist, but an easier
and quicker way I've found for me is the overhand granny / improved clinch.
Ill dig up the illustration.

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok here it is.

Step 1: Tie an overhand (Granny) knot in the heavier material and pass your lighter line through.
Step 2: Pull the overhand knot in the heavy line tightly closed. Take four or five turns around the heavy line with the light.
Step 3: Pass the light line back through the first loop as shown.

The illustration shows one overhand granny in the heavier standing line for use as a shock leader. In a braid to mono or flouro leader the granny is in the leader. The braided line clinch gets more wraps and the improvement by passing the tag end through the last loop. This knot is as strong as hell and so far has held up for me.

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Surfnut said:
but does your line twist up from not useing a swivel?
I fish at night and I cant see it. LOL
As long as the line goes on the spool properly the line twist is not a problem.
I usually use that knot to minimize hardware so I can ~ tie directly to the plug, mono to flouro or for braids to flouro.
I then tie a rapala knot in the tag end of the flourocarbon to the split ring or jighead. ++
With spinners and spoons a swivel is necessary.
* I dont know a better name for it so Ill refer to the knot as the granny /clinch
++ (I use the *granny/clinch also for shock leaders - mono to mono)
Lower profile through the last guide.
~ I use a duo lock on the metal lipped swimmers like the Danny.

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
When using the clinch for other applications a trilene might also be used. The trilene knot is a clinch with a double loop. Berkely says the knot retains 95% of its breaking strength.
Trilene Knot

· swabbie
22 Posts
That granny / improved clinch looks similar to the slim beauty. The guys casting to tuna seem to be using it a lot to attach floro carbon to their braid. You tie a double overhand knot in the floro or mono, thread the braid through it twice, wrap the braid around the floro 7 times going out and then 11 times coming back towards the knot, then under the first loop and pull it tight.

Sorry, I don't have an illistration.

· Registered
5,925 Posts
mono to braid is so damn iffy. that knot has got to be right. the slim beauty was not designed for braid. have you tied it? i will try just wondering if the dual braid will clinch evenly on the last part of the knot

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Danny thanks for the slim beauty.
It looks very similar to the granny / clinch which btw I
havent had fail even as a shockleader throwing in excess of 8 ounces.
Heres a good illustration as braid to mono from anglers outfit.
The slim beauty

· swabbie
22 Posts
When I was shown the knot the braid was not doubled, and it went 7 times around going out and 11 coming back. A lot of guys are spooling up their spinning gear with 50 lb braid and using this knot to attach a 50 lb floro leader and casting lures to blue fin tuna. I saw a guy land a 75 lb blue fin with this set up yesterday, believe me, that knot was put to the test with that fish. I've caught many big stripers, but this was the first time I witnessed the tuna thing, it is a hole new world! Drags are set to 13 lbs and 150 yds would peel of in the blink of an eye. The knot held tight!

· Registered
5,925 Posts
that is good to know. i have tied it the conventional way with fly setup but will now test it out on the water the other way. it;s basically a locked albright but the hookset on these knots are my concern that is all. the shock factor has had the braid cut through the leader before. but fishing in spots i do there is little room for letting the bass run. ya gotta hook em and pry em out of the hole or risk getting broken off on the rocks. heavy braid and leader with no drag whatsoever. now that;s just sick and chock full of adrenaline! the one spot jim and i are aching to fish this fall is another prime example i really need the strength of the braid and shock leader to absorb the initial hit. once it is fail safe the fish is done. i promise just for the sake of arguement to give it a go and see if she is noteworthy (with pics of course)

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Continued.
thanks jim. but does your line twist up from not useing a swivel?
Ps. I find the duolocks to be better as swivels than the coast locks. for me they are awkward to put on metal lipped swimmers unless you bend them and the constant bending weakens them to the point of breakage. The ball bearing swivels on the duolocks made by sampo are expensive.
It takes longer to constantly tie rapala knots (loop) but thats generally what Ill do unless of course its metal spoons or spinners.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.