Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Grouchy old Bassturd
1,033 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that uses the Homer Rhodes knot?
I looked for something to show as to post it here,, but the only one I found that can be cut and pasted is shown wrong (or at least not the way I tie it).

PS; I'm board, maybe I'll photo my version and post it?

· Grouchy old Bassturd
1,033 Posts
Jim,
That's one of the ones I saw on the net. But, it's a bit different than the way I was shown and have been using.
The top knot is,,,, backwards(?)
The way I'm using it you can undo and change lures and redo without any cutting or such with 40+# leader material.
Having used it for years I've found it to be almost failsafe.

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Important knot tying tips.
Monofilament
A critical factor in obtaining proper knot strength is to maintain tight and even pressure while tying the knot.
Your finished knot coils should be tight and neat looking. If you have any overlays or funny looking coils, cut the line and start over, as these will drasticaly rduce the knot strength.
One of the secrets of a well formed knot is moisture which lubricates and will properly set the wraps for a stronger knot.
To increase your knot strength by as much as 20%, use any lubricant spray, liquid or hand and lure cleaner, or fish attracting oil. Anything but saliva as research has shown that this will decrease knot strength because it is a digestive enzyme.
With heavy monofilament use a rag or a glove to grip the standing part of the line, hold the tag end on the hook with a pair of plyers. Use a lubricant on the knot and pull steady until the knot is drawn up tight. With real heavy line you will not be able to tighten the knot properly by hand.​

Superbraid
These super strong lines are three to four times stronger than monofilament of the same diameter. With less than 5% stretch [up to 30% with mono] sensitivity is drastically increased and you will be able to feel the instant a fish bites your lure or bait. Hook setting is virtually instantaneous even when jigging at greater depths.
Being much more abrasion resistent, they will last many times longer than mono. Most of the super braids float, absorb very little water and remain limp without any memory. Top water bass fishermen prefer them by a wide margin over mono. Fly fishermen like the fact that when they use super braid for backing they are able to keep the line out of the water while fighting fish.
The super braids are very slick and slip a lot more than mono and can knife down into the reel if not wound tightly onto the reel while spooling. Extensive testing by line manufacturers have shown an average of 25% loss of knot strenght. when tying knots with super braids it is of utmost importance that the wraps sit tightly together and your lines are not crossed. If they are notstart over.
Allow 4 or 5 more wraps than you normally would with mono When drawing up the knot use a rag or a glove to grip the standing part of the line, grip the tag end or hook with a pair of pliers and pull to set the knot. You will not be able to tighten the knot properly by hand. Leave tag ends at least a quarter inch long and use a sharp pair of scissors to trim tags. (fiskers work well)

From the Little red knot fishing book by Harry Nilsson

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Number of Wraps or Coils to use for each line strength with Mono Line

Up to 10 lbs test use 6 to 7 wraps
For Lines 12 to 18 lbs test use 5 to 6 wraps
For Lines 20 to 30 lbs test use 3 to 4 wraps
For Heavy lines 50 to 100 lbs test use 3 to 4 wraps.
Anything less can reult in a failed knot​

When tying a knot around a hook shank (snelled) always begin wrap away from the hook eye connection, so the sharp edge cannot cut the line during battle with a heavy fish

Do not trim your knots flush up against the wraps, as with all knots will to a greater or lesser degree slip slightly.
With light lines leave the tag length about 1/16"
With medium lines leave an 1/8"
With heavy lines leave about 1/4"​

After battling a heavy fish you will find the exposed tag about half the length you started with​

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Easy knots for the beginner. Practice so you can tie them in the dark.

The improved Clinch Knot. For attaching your line to the swivel.

The Palomar knot.
The recommended knot for attaching braid to the plug / hook or to the swivel.

The simple snell using the uni knot.

Thread six inches of line through the eye of the hook.
Hold the line against the hook's shank, and form a Uni-Knot circle

Make five to seven turns through the loop and around the standing line and hook's shank.

Tighten by pulling the standing line in one direction and the tag end in the other

What fishing knots are used for

3,471 Posts
Re: The three knots you should know.

Where's the loop knot, gotta have a loop knot!!

IMHO, and I did a lot of testing to back this up, the Rapala loop is the strongest one out there. I think there's a link somewhere around here to an animated Gif showing how to tie it.

18,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Dropper loop​
The palomar​

The Palomar and the improved cinch​
This one is also known as the rapala knot​

· will work for stripers
2,530 Posts
Re: The three knots you should know.

knot tying lessons are due at the next outing.
ide like to thank the googan zim for the personal knot lesson at the canal gathering...now the dropper can be done in the dark with my eyes closed..it took actually seeing it..not on a screen..to go...duh.......and the other one....the ass backwards albright is a cool one too....thanks zim.

· Registered
5,925 Posts
you may as well close your eyes and for that matter pray for a fish while your at it! i teach all the googins how to tie knots. you my friend were of the handicapped variety so i was careful to be slow and methodical. sorry it takes it to be dark out to get it right. lol i ideally wanted to have a knot tying session at the cape but when i saw the water and wind i immediately wanted to throw the spey rod. the pia woman behind me i am used to at home as the beaches are always got lurkers watching as most don;t see flyfishing off the beach. i found the line i had was a bit too light as i need a 12w instead of the 11 i had put on. shoulda cast it before bringing it up. but no fish so wtf. perhaps at montauk next month if we can get a few moments

· Registered
3 Posts
wow, i must say this is very good for a beginner fisher. i myself have never been good with knot tying, for a while i used my own kind of knot which involved 3 granny knots in the mix, then i learned how to make knuces (if thats spelled right) and ever since then, that is the only knot ill tie on my bait/inline, as far as using a shockleader i have never, but i have only just gotten into surfcasting, im usually a boat fisherman with my 7' pole, i recently orderd a 12' pole to fish at the connowingo dam in maryland, due to the need to get it out 200-250 yards. to be crude about the knuce, in my opinion it is the strongest knot out there, i have never lost a single bait or inline because of my knot, i will try out a few of these as the knuce does take some time to tie properly

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.