Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this march 7th-17th I am planning a kayak fishing trip to the Chesapeake bay for stripers & was hoping to get some advice...
- I would like to stay in the Maryland area and was wondering if any one had some hot spots to try? {I intend on living out of my tent for the 10 days so I wouldn't mind relocating and trying several locations.}
- Also, I would like to use live baits.... is there any possibility of snagging my own pogies?
Thanks Rhody

·
First Mate
163 Posts
Probably the best area at that time of year would be the Susquehanna flats catch and release. I know they have camping at Elk Neck state park but im not sure if they do at that time of year. It could be really cold camping at that time of the year, but you might be lucky and catch it during a warm spell

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fish out of perryville and hit the flats every spring. The big females aren't there yet but you might catch some leaner males around the southern edge of the flats. Water temp was 43 yesterday and you really don't start seeing them until it hits 46-47 with the pigs rolling in around 50. Find the trenches where the water drops from 4ft to about 8-10ft. Using whole live herring, cut herring, live/cut small perch on a fishfinder rig with a 5/0 non-offset circle hook is your best bet. Another good option is 6"-10" BKD's on 1/2-3/4 oz jighead bouncing off the sandy bottom of those same trenches. Hope this helps and good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts