Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need a permit to fish there any time (the 50 dollar one) or is it only needed if you fish before or after park hours (6AM-12PM)?

·
4,419 Posts
Chin I think its like Great kills but I cant be sure. Call ahead during day time hours. At Great kills you cant get vehicle access to crooks point day or night without a permit but you can fish the harbor the unoccupied beach front and the point.

Jamaica Bay unit
718 354 4606

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know this question was posted in 2005, but I don't understand :(...
I just started fishing last week, I went to Floyd Bennett field by mistake lol, but I managed to find the parking near the water next to the bridge. I saw a sign "parking with permit only" on a couple of parking spots so I parked a little way down from the stairs to get down on the shore. I looked up the permit thing and i'm finding that you need a $50 permit to park, not to fish..? http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/kayak/26

I have both the marine($10) and freshwater($29) fishing license.

DO I NEED ANOTHER LICENSE To fish there? Also is the parking license only for people parking on the parking lot? or for the whole field? :GrayWingSmiley:

I caught this sea robin didn't know what it was at the time lol so I didn't even want to pick it up LMAO

·
Registered
129 Posts
found the ranger number called, and he said you must have the permit to park there and the fishing license ... ~.~:flyfish: Lucky I didn't get a ticket lmao

·
Striper Hunter
572 Posts
Parking permit is for the Gateway National Park. Without it you cannot park by the water. You could park by the restrooms where you made the right onto that street and just walk down. alright.gif

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I went there again on Saturday June 19, 2010. I just let my wife drop me off for the day... I was there for about 4hours almost caught another sea robin, but lost a few rigs to horse shoe crabs :( they cut the line... anyway, around my 4th hour of fishing a ranger walked up to me and the conversation went like this...

Really Old Ranger:have you caught anything
Me: No
Really Old Ranger:where is your car parked?
Me:I got dropped off
Really Old Ranger:you need a permit to be here (on the beach?/shoreline?)
Me:eek:h...
Ranger:Call your friend to pick you up...brick.gif

he then continued to walk down the beach/shoreline to the jetty and disappeared... i guess there is a stair there also...
I packed up my rods and stuff and got off, called my wife to pick me up...walked out the park past those restrooms you mentioned and waited on the bench next to the bicycle path...

now my question would be... how come he kicked me off the beach???

i should mention there were about 10-15 other anglers with me, and he didn't talk to any of them besides me........wtf?!

·
4,419 Posts
that you need a $50 permit to park, not to fish..? http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/kayak/26
Floyd Bennet field is part of Gateway National Recreation area and technically its a fishing access permit. The launch is seperate and operated by the city. I think?
It appears that Floyd bennet field has a special permits section.

Floyd Bennett Field: Permits are required for Group Campgrounds, Community Garden plots, Cartop Boat Launching, Sailing, Archery and Picnicking. Call 718-338-3799 for further information.

I am surprised the ranger focused on a permit rather than the marine rec license.
Call that number and find out if he was within his rights to boot you from the bulkhead. Im curious about that one myself.
In Gateway on S.I. you cant get vehicle access to certain areas without a permit but you are allowed to walk in.

http://www.nps.gov/gate/planyourvisit/permits.htm

·
Striper Hunter
572 Posts
I wonder why he singled you out. Maybe grandpa had dirty diapers!:lff3:
A few years ago someone parked there without the sticker and received a summons for Illegal Parking, not for illegal fishing and not for trespassing. Never be afraid to question clowns! He should have inquired about the fishing license like Jim said. I would have asked him to show me where it says that i cannot be on that beach! He would have tucked his tail between his legs and headed back to asshaul central. Call the office and ask to speak to a supervisor. I really don't think i'm wrong on this. They're supposed to enforce the rules not make them up as they go along, but that's just me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will call tomorrow and find out...chainsaw2.gif but after reviewing that link above...
http://www.nps.gov/gate/planyourvisit/jamaica-bay-unit-permits.htm

maybe this is what he meant?
"Application for Special Use Permit: A non-refundable $50.00 application-processing fee must be submitted with all applications for use of buildings and grounds on Floyd Bennett Field."

since the $50 is for "use of buildings and grounds..." but if its not part of Floyd Bennett Field then it would not be applicable...

Oh btw I went back to Breezy Point again to take a look around...but you have to have a permit to park in that parking lot right before the surf club.... where do you park when you go to Breezy point? all those road need a card/token access... I saw a 4wheel drive permit needed but I just want to park and walk over to the shore...

·
4,419 Posts
The Breezy point permits (the only gateway 4 wheel permit) sold out on February 15th. They go on sale again in September.
There is a daytime lot outside of the point that fits about 8 cars. I think you can park there with the gateway permit but I'm not certain. Then you would have to walk in on soft sand.
Fort Tilden would be an easier park and access.

·
Striper Hunter
572 Posts
For Tilden and Breezy you need the permit to park anywhere. Both areas are highly patrolled. At first i was under the impression you wanted to soak a line now and then. If you really wanna fish the area, and since the Stripers moved surfside then just get the permit and all is solved.

·
Registered
129 Posts
yea talking about it today with my dad and we concluded the same thing...lol just buy the damn permit... even though ill get dropped off again because my wife wont stay to fish lollllll eh well at least we know there's no way around it now i guess...

I tried fishing canarsie piers, first cast to short, reeling it in HOOKED!lmao i tug that line till it cut my gloves, and was force to cut it... :(... set up again, but got no bites... I saw some blue crabs, DO you need a permit to catch blue crabs? or can you just use your Recreational Marine Fishing permit? (lmao now i want to catch crab and fish :))

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a true beginner and have been reading a lot of posts on this forum, and the information I'm absorbing is phenomenal. This is a great site!

I've been searching for a place to start surf casting and I've been using google maps and bing maps; due to my residence in relative close proximity to rockaways / fort tilden / breezy area, I'm thinking of starting out in those first.

I've found this thread to be very helpful but I still had a couple questions that I couldn't find elsewhere, and hoping those guys that are familiar has addt'l info. First is, if I get the $50 permit, which lots at Tilden can I park at? From aerial view it looks like about 3-4 lots, my concern in particular is the one far west.
Also, it seems Jacob Riis park also falls under the Gateway National Recreational Area. If I get the $50 parking permit, does it mean it includes the $5 memorial day - labor day time period as stated here http://www.nps.gov/gate/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm , on the site it also says $40 seasonal pass is available. Does that mean the huge parking lot for Jacob Riis park is excluded? and thus its a separate entity and must be paid for separately? I'm guessing the lot is open for free during all other times of the year?

Hope I make sense =)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts