Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week here I am trying to catch herring for bait and this older lady starts fishing next to me on dock near Albany. She had only about a 5' pole. She goes in her cooler and her sandwich container full of pink cooked shrimp. Hooks one up and shes got a big catfish within 10 minutes. I'm doing this all wrong

·
Registered
33 Posts
Reminds me of my first sorta striper season (it was after memorial day). Buddy and I had no idea what we were doing. Couldn't get herring, bait shop was closed for the day, so we got cooked shrimp and clams from the grocery store. No bass obviously, but we got loads of cats and eels! Far from successful, but I got the addiction that day... Took a lot more time on the water in later seasons, learning how to catch bait and proper presentation. Finally resulted in hand lining my first striper...but that's another story (don't buy cheap gear)! Been fishing the run every spring since. Those pudgy spring cats still make me chuckle though, entertaining when ol' stripey doesn't feel like eating anyway! laughing7.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts