Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

inshore chunking

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rogerstg 
#1 ·
i'm going fishing monday and i would like some ideas on how you guys chunk. what kind of bait you use, how you cut it, what parts to use, do you guys start a chum slick and how should i do it put it in a bucket and drop it or just cut it and through it in, what kind of hooks you use, sixe of hooks.... all your teckneaks. and pluse its my first time this year belive it or not ( yes i kinda started late ) so if you can help me it would be great because i dont chunk that much because i usaly just use plugs.......

#2 ·
First off, welcome to S247 welcome.gif . Now I use both clam and mackerel. I usually try clam first and mackerel second. The mackerel I usually cut into thirds. I'll run the hook up through the mouth on the head like a shiner and bury it back into the head, or through the back around the spine and again buring the hook back into the fish. I also use circle hooks, 4/0 or 5/0. Occasionally I'll use pogies too. I cut them in half and hookthem up the same as a mackerel.

#4 ·
I use Macks and Herring. I hook the heads the same way as illustrated above, and the those parts the same way as well. And there is NO waste. I never understood seeing people throw the head and/or the tail in the water like its useless. The whole bait fish is good. I usually "fish big" along the coast, and I use a 7/0 or 8/0 bleeding red circle sea hook, and throw large pieces of bait. I usually throw half the fish. Sometimes the whole thing depending on its size. This helps to weed out the kindergarteners. Plus the large offering is incentive for the larger fish to move in and eat. A large fish will rarely move for a little chunk...the sows will rarely compete with the piglets for a tiny offering. I use a 3' flourocarbon leader.

When "fishing smaller", like the rivers and the marsh, I will use a smaller hook, a 4/0 octopus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.