Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Striper Hunter
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I had mentioned in my introduction that when I was a kid my dad had a place down the cape and I spent a lot of my youth fishing there in the summer until my dad had to sell it due to a financial hardship. Well my dad was and is an avid fisherman. He spends most of his time now in Florida fishing with a friend for tripletail. He does not come back up this way too often ( Massachusetts ). But I've talked to him many times about getting into striper fishing and he's shared some memories with me on the phone. Anyways, he's up here now and came over to visit the grandkids today and he gives me a gift.....

A 9' St Croix rod. Medium action. 3/4 - 4 oz. Legend Surf Series spin rod and a Shimano Stella 5000SW reel loaded with 300 yards of 20lb PowerPro. Now I may be new to this but I ain't no dummy and this is pretty good stuff. I can't wait to get out and use it

Just wondering if any one else has this kind of setup or similar and what they think of it?

I don't mean to come across the wrong way with this but I am just pumped up and excited to get out and try this

Thanks
DR

· Cow Catcher
937 Posts
Super set up.thumbsup.gif What a nice Guy. The stella is smooth as butter and casts great but dont handle getting dunked well. GL and tight lines.

3,471 Posts
That's one hell of a nice gift. The Stella is one of the finest reels ever made.
You want to see something wild, go check out the warranty - you are automatically first in line

Keep it clean and keep it out of any sandy waves and it will handle any fish you might hook off the beach.

· The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
1,148 Posts
Congrats John that is one hell of a gift. Now go put some wear on that drag. I will be shooting you an e mail monday!:10187:

· Registered
501 Posts
Man your Dad is something special!!!! I also have a Stella 10000 on a 13' AWAF and loving ever minute of it. Great fishing and enjoy you new gear. That's a gift you will have for years to come, after a while it will be hard to fish with it because you will be scared something might happen to it. Enjoy!!!!

· Striper Hunter
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dave. I think he is great. Also, he has fished in his youth with some of the legends. There were so many things I did not know about my Dad until I took up striper fishing.

Also, one of his closest friends is a guide in Fla and he gets 40 % off Shimano so we got a great deal on the reel

It's going to be real interesting this weekend. I am having a huge party for my mom and dad on Saturday because it is their 50th wedding anniversary and then Sunday I am taking my dad and some of his friends out hoping to hook into some stripers.

· First Mate
1,198 Posts
I am having a huge party for my mom and dad on Saturday because it is their 50th wedding anniversary and then Sunday I am taking my dad and some of his friends out hoping to hook into some stripers.
Dave, I hope you, your dad and his buddies hook up. Take the camera and post some pics. I'm celebrating my 30th this year and I hope I'm still fishing when I'm celebrating my 50th. Ataboy Dave.:notworthy:

· The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
1,148 Posts
Thanks Dave. I think he is great. Also, he has fished in his youth with some of the legends. There were so many things I did not know about my Dad until I took up striper fishing.

Also, one of his closest friends is a guide in Fla and he gets 40 % off Shimano so we got a great deal on the reel

It's going to be real interesting this weekend. I am having a huge party for my mom and dad on Saturday because it is their 50th wedding anniversary and then Sunday I am taking my dad and some of his friends out hoping to hook into some stripers.
That's awesome John I hope you guys hook up. If you need an extra set up give me a call. I have a rod that I can loan out for one of the buddies if needed! :a_goodjob:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.