Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

On saturday I took my son fishing for the first time. Previously, I have been fishing in his company but this was the first time that he had his own rod (I bought him a little Ugly Stick combo for Xmas). We did not go very far, only to a small pond around the house. I just wanted to "test the waters" so to speak (pun intended). I did not bring a rod for myself with us.

The results:

* It seems like the general "consensus" was that the water was still too cold to catch anything, I got a few bites though.

* I did not let him cast or handle hooks.

* For about 5 minutes in the middle of running around, opening and closing the tackle box, touching everything and throwing lures all over, throwing the worms to the water ;-), almost being ran over by a trailer, almost falling into the water, etc, my son held the rod and attempted a retrieve (twice).

* He had the time of his life doing all of the above and I enjoyed it myself too even though there was really no fishing involved.

* At the end of the session, that lasted about 1 hour, one of the guys that was fishing from a boat, gave us a couple of unidentifiable fish (at least to me). We had fish that night.

* We returned home and he told my wife how much fun fishing was. She was very impressed by the fish as well (although I failed to mention that we did not actually catch them). She was surprised that I did not want to take any pictures with the fish ;-). He said he wants to go fishing again.

All I can say is that fishing with my son was a complete adventure 100% worthwhile. I mean, you have to understand that you would do pretty much no fishing tracking him down and trying to get him to concentrate (without forcing him). I laughed a lot and so many other guys that were nearby did too. I am glad that I did not find one of those hardcore fishermen that do not allow disturbances. I will definitely repeat this adventure often but probably not when we go saltwater fishing as I want to fish too ;-).

I am so happy that I decided to share this story with you guys.

Robalo.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Good post Robalo! I'm getting my 2 1/2 year old daughter used to reeling by letting her help me re-spool my reels this spring. She's pretty good at cranking the handle. I just need to find a good fresh water spot to break her in easy. I'll be getting her her own rod & reel soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took my boy to the lake to troll for stripers today. Struck out trolling w/shiners early (1 1/2 hrs. - dad wheres the fish) so we netted some bait and anchored up behind the dam. We got 1 7 lb. striper and 3 channel cats. He's 4 yrs. old and reeled in an 8 lb. channel all by himself and he netted the striper for me. This was the best fishing trip in a long time, the smile on his face was ear to ear. Dragged some leadcore when he fell asleep around 2 PM, but those deep water stripers don't like me lately. I think he's got it as bad as I do now, he wants to go again tomorrow. Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts