Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard " If you catch a big wiper ...might as well keep it ,because it will die from the stress of being caught ! "
After catching a 26" ...cpr and back in the lake. The fish swam away. But was told "That fish will be dead within the hour ! "
This was on a hot summer day with water temps at 80° .. ?

True or false

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response .
I'm guessing that the size of the wiper may be a factor. Last year I put a 18" wiper in my live well for a couple of hours while we trolled for more . When I opened the live well hatch the fish exploded !! I quickly caught the fish and released it. There was no way this fish was going to die.
After that experience ...I'm guessing that the larger they are the more apt to die from the stress.

PS: We (my son and I ) are using 10' poles with 25lb fireline...so the fish come to the boat fairly quickly.

Next question : If they are going to die ?? Then what should we do with them ?? Eat them ?? I have never ate one but ...??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a whoppericn___clap.gif
Here is an Iowa wiper my son pulled in last summer. 26"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are a few lakes with Wiper stockings in Iowa . I fish Saylorville which is part of the Des Moines river chain. Red Rock is also part of this river and I believe is an untapped Wiper reservoir as well. "The Ville" is fairly close and I know the lake fairly well ...so that's where we spend those HOT summer days trolling for hybrids.
The hotter the better...their metabolism calls for a huge intake of shad during these hot water periods.
The Ville has some 30' water but most averages 20'. Wind and areas that they can use to trap the shad (and some luck) are the keys in this reservoir.
There are only 3 or 4 of us fishing for Wipers on this lake. No one is using down-riggers...(maybe we should?) I use a particular snap weight set up to reach the desired depth. That depth is dictated by what I see on the graph.
Although a nice pic of my son and his fish..it doesn't do the fish justice as I think it was pushing 10lb ...wasn't weighed. I could be wrong but here is a photo with it on a tape. The home made measuring devise is 6" wide.
I have a scale in the boat ...I was trying to quickly return him..I now know there is no need to release.

This was the first year for me and my son...targeting Wipers. Hope to duplicate this many more times in 07.
Glad to find a group so dedicated to these species.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to test weigh my scale to make sure it is giving me an accurate measurement before I start the year of wiper fishing.
I hope these fish aren't full of hot air !!:pbdoi:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a nice wiper caught by one of our club members last year. Mike Jones caught it from the DesMoines river.
Just shy of the state record.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here is the top three wipers entered on our club leaderboard.
Mike is on top , then my son and me at third.

1 - 32.5" -18lb 12oz -Des Moines River -#7 Firetiger Rapala -08/12/2006
2 - 26" -Saylorville Lake -3/8 oz Cicada -07/30/2006
3 - 23" -Saylorville Lake -3/8oz Cicada -07/30/2006

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.