Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Official Member
126 Posts
its more a question of size. Bass over 35inch or a certain weight or something like that are almost always female. Thats why they're called cows, cuz normally a biggun of any species is called a "bull", but in the case of stripers the bigguns are girls, therefore "cows".

The actual sex i think is determined through disection, I can't tell by just lookin at its underside. striper junk is inside the body, but there is some way i supposed. Hope this helps. And i suck at finding stuff on this site, but i DID do a search and found this scale. And keep in mind, as it says in the post, the data is from like the 50's

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=13190&highlight=males+females

· Registered
996 Posts
its more a question of size. Bass over 35inch or a certain weight or something like that are almost always female. Thats why they're called cows, cuz normally a biggun of any species is called a "bull", but in the case of stripers the bigguns are girls, therefore "cows".

The actual sex i think is determined through disection, I can't tell by just lookin at its underside. striper junk is inside the body, but there is some way i supposed. Hope this helps. And i suck at finding stuff on this site, but i DID do a search and found this scale. And keep in mind, as it says in the post, the data is from like the 50's

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=13190&highlight=males+females
Very true. But females are also small too which does make it tough. I think you are right the only real way to tell the difference is through dissection. If I'm fishing during the spawn, almost everything goes back except for the ones that obviously aren't carrying eggs.

1,559 Posts
If a Striper is over 36 inches it's a female. You can bet your house, wife and kids on that.
The issue with smaller fish is the amount of eggs they lay. The larger the fish the higher the carrying capacity. The differance between a 28 inch female verse a 38 inch female is beyond comprehension.
I refuse to kill a Bass over 32, as a matter of conservation and taste. The big girls are just too nasty, in fact, it kinda equates to humans.......................
Cept when the better part of a fifth of Jack is involved.

· Young salt
1,396 Posts
You guys are all wayyyy offf. Just cut it behind the dorsal, if it bleeds for five days and doesn't die, it's a female, throw her back :anon:

StriperHyper ~ Will

· Registered
2 Posts
Dont want to keep a striper that could spawn a new batch is there a way to determine the sex by fins or stripes
Whats up Bobby. back in the early 90's a marine biologist from URI oceanography school developed a tongue swab kit to determine sex. IIRC this was the only 100% way to determine sex without dissection. The kits were suppose to be available to us surf casters as a low-cost commerical product...but I never did see them for sale. So to make a long story short..there is a non-invasive method able to determine sex without dissection, but apparently it is not available as a commercial product.

· Registered
2 Posts
you r my encyclopedia dan and the cool thing is dont have to find a reference page on the boat next time
:thu:
I met the guy from URI once and talked at length about his research. I believe there was also an article in a local paper about his research (ProJo?). I might have to go down to URI GSO and look in the library. This convo has piqued my interest in the topic.

"next time" we will be on the boat! :notworthy:

I'm still :anon: from that last trip we took in the surf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.