Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How far do you travel to fish?

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, 2 miles to the marina or a walk across my neighbors back yard :)

The hardest part of my fishing summer commute is the 15 minute boat ride through the no wake zone. In the spring/winter , the fish ARE in the no wake zone and I throw lines as soon as I clear the dock.

Kyle

·
Registered
150 Posts
I fish a fairly wide stretch, both east and west of where I live. I figure about an hour until I'm fishing from the time I leave my house. This includes beach driving also.

Long ago, someone told me to learn my own back yard first and don't get distracted running around chasing second hand info. Learn what makes your area tick and then slowly spread out from there. It was good advise.

I'm one of the few that does not make the 1hr 40min trek to Montauk during the fall (or any other time). Haven't been out there in over 20 years, but might just give it a shot this fall, for old times sake LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cape Cod is 10.5 hrs just love this wood plug in the canal. Took all week to get equipment sorted out and had some success. Will be back mid Sept. most likely from TBF on Champlain.

Steelheading/Salmon Northshore Lake Ontario 5 mins to Bowmanville Creek mostly fish Ganaraska River Port Hope Ont. 19 minutes.

Walleye, Smallies, Largies, Perch and Crappies just dozens of places with in 2 hrs.

Rice Lake, Pidgeon, Buckhorn, Chemong, Balsam, Lake Simcoe, Couching, Bay of Quinte are all favorites.

I fish Northern Pike Lake Muskoka 2.5 hrs

Muskys everywhere I don't normally target.

Ice fish a bit perch, Lake Trout.

Guess I like fishing.

·
absolute trophy hunter
198 Posts
im lucky enough to live smack in the middle of the hudson valley in the heart of the annual spawning run. have 4 great shore spots within 10 min either direction right in middle of what we like to call the magic triangle. known for lots of fis 40' plus. including my 48.5" in 07.man i love april-may

·
Striper Hunter - iFish NY
107 Posts
10 minutes down to the river for a shot at some shorts with a keeper every once in a blue moon... an hour or more to get to the fishing grounds during the peak of the run... and an hour out to the island in the summer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently live in NC and every year for the past 6 or so years I've been driving or flying to CT to stay at my friends to striper fish. A few years ago we started to go to Montauk too. So I was driving from Nags Head, NC to Wallingford, Ct, then we would go to Montauk, NY. He moved down here this past December and now in September we are both moving back to CT, now we will always be near the stripers. The drive from NC to CT can be anywhere from 9 to 12 hours.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts